PDA

View Full Version : Homemade 9kg cooker (like ozpig)??

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 01:20 AM
I have been watching all those gifted folk make all there bits and bobs and well, have to admit when it comes to metalwork, I am as useful as a geriatric rice bubble.

Would there be any of the members here (WA based) that would be willing to show us the ropes and help make up a 9kg gas bottle cooker similar to the ozpig set up?

Obviously I will provide the gear for making it (except welder as I don't have 1) and help out as well as whatever currency is agreed upon such as the usual feed and beers :)

Any help would be appreciated as i am keen to learn to weld etc and thought this would be a good little project to start on - similar to this thread on 4wda - http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=126662&p=1572247

G U LOOKS GOOD
17th April 2012, 09:22 PM
yhats wicked im going to make 1

AB
17th April 2012, 09:24 PM
I can't offer any help mate as I'm an average welder but I want to see you make one though...lol

wildgu6
17th April 2012, 09:29 PM
I am as useful as a geriatric rice bubble.

LMFAO sorry mate can't help ya
Love to see the outcome though

Yappa tappa doo

97_gq_lwb
17th April 2012, 09:31 PM
Different does it still have to be retested every ten years

NissanGQ4.2
17th April 2012, 10:03 PM
I like, I want one, just for the sake of it :)

Thanks for the link

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 10:15 PM
DOH!!! lolololol

AB
17th April 2012, 10:18 PM
Ferrets your man mate. I would be get him to read this somehow...lol

the ferret
17th April 2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks AB LOL!!! yeah, I've read it................I thought the guy that makes the OZPIG was on here some time........................ wouldn't wanna step on anyones toes.
Happy to help tho.
Cheers, the ferret.

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 10:30 PM
true, I am not wanting to step on toes either but though it would be a good project to try and make but not having the tools or the nouse makes it a bit hard, more than happy to learn though

NissanGQ4.2
17th April 2012, 10:42 PM
I could just see myself getting the angle grinder out and cutting into my full 9kg bottle if gas :blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::b lowup::blowup::blowup:

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 10:46 PM
ouchies springs to mind

growler2058
17th April 2012, 10:50 PM
I could just see myself getting the angle grinder out and cutting into my full 9kg bottle if gas :blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::b lowup::blowup::blowup:

HAHAHAHHAHhahahahahhahHHAHhahHAHAha Years ago my boss made me cut a BIG bottle up to reweld into a garden roller i was cacking it i tell ya. He says fill it up with water youll be right. im like oh yeah great with a 9" angle grinder and water, good on ya. Id heard stories of blokes being killed cuttin up 44's the ol sphinctometer was at 10.5 outa 10 hahahahaha

the ferret
17th April 2012, 11:52 PM
Round up the gear and we can have a go at it mate, I'm down at Mandurah, THO I WILL ONLY CUT A GAS BOTTLE THAT HAS BEEN DE GASSED, I need both hands and eyes at the moment lol
Cheers, the ferret.

oncedisturbed
18th April 2012, 12:13 AM
Not a problem at all, will track down what's needed and get back to you :)

frenzy
18th April 2012, 12:26 AM
Looks like a great project. Good luck with it and don't forget the pics!

Silver
18th April 2012, 04:07 AM
I have seen 9kg and bigger bottles cut so a camp oven will fit completely inside along with heat beads. Some of them look like they have been made from 2 or 3 bottles to make them a bit taller. Chimney is installed on an enlarged hole where the valve goes. Whole lot sits on the ground, and none of the ones I saw, which all belonged to members of a local ham radio club, were set up to bbq as well.

This one looks more interesting.

PattyWgnOwen
20th April 2012, 11:04 PM
I have an oz pig it is excellent. I need to make a bigger BBQ plate for it because the one it comes with is a bit small and has no sides so I am always using a cast iron pan on top which means heat loss??

Timbo
23rd April 2012, 03:42 PM
LOL!! This isn't the most portable idea for camping..

Nice idea but sorry, should stay at home!

97_gq_lwb
23rd April 2012, 04:08 PM
I seen one yesterday made from a beer keg .i think they are stainless not sure how legal that would be either.
I am sure they are the property of the company that fills them.

PattyWgnOwen
23rd April 2012, 05:58 PM
not sure how they would go with a lot of heat being made of stainless? It is softer.
I know a 44 gallon drum does not last long as a fire pit ?

oncedisturbed
23rd April 2012, 06:11 PM
I know the 44's don't last, the gas bottles last awhile from what i have read and seen in youtube

my third 256
24th April 2012, 09:22 AM
you will find old kegs at recyclers that have deen damaged
i got mine from coopers itself for $20.00

Robo
24th April 2012, 11:57 AM
Different does it still have to be retested every ten years

Forget the 9kg 1, get a 90 Ltr used Lp tank ebay cheap and make a spit roaster !!

waz65
25th April 2012, 12:49 PM
Here's mine , made out of a 9 kg bottle and is the perfect size for a camp oven , I've just got to paint it :
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/bigmanwaz/gasbottlecooker001.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/bigmanwaz/gasbottlecooker002.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/bigmanwaz/gasbottlecooker003.jpg
cost me $18 for heat proof paint as i had everything else here at home , as for cutting it - all i did was make sure the bottle was empty then removed the valve by unscrewing it then filled it with soapy water and left it for a week then emptied it and refilled it with more water before cutting the bottle
no bang here

oncedisturbed
25th April 2012, 09:58 PM
thats pretty cool, i like seeing the different options people have done, gives me more ideas :)

taslucas
29th April 2012, 09:03 PM
Heres a mates. Made out if a keg. He uses a gas burner out of an old BBQ. Can use it with a BBQ plate open or closed. He also added the slots for a rotisserie. Works really well. And with gas theres no need for a chimney etc.

tappin it

oncedisturbed
30th April 2012, 10:45 AM
that's pretty cool, still a bit big for camping though

taslucas
30th April 2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah I suppose it's a bit big but the legs come off and everything except the gas bottle fits inside for storage. Or if you carry the plate separate you can put the gas bottle inside.

tappin it

Rusco
3rd August 2012, 09:51 PM
Good idea, i was thinking of converting a box trailer into a mobile kitchen, as my learn to weld project.