PDA

View Full Version : ABR Sidewinder dual battery system

Little Mick
16th April 2012, 09:13 AM
Can get the dbi140r isolator and ABR battery monitor with link function for $160.00.
Is this a good reliable system.Just running a 60lt fridge/freezer and a couple of lights at the moment.
What's best to use for the second battery keeping in mind that it may have to be used to start the old tart(not the missus) every now and again.
Cheers Mick

oncedisturbed
16th April 2012, 11:02 AM
Thats not too bad a price, have a look on Ebay as well because the boss of ABR (derek bester) run an online store there as well and has some really good prices on there from time to time.

Second battery would be used for fridge, 12v power sockets, additional lighting (awning lights etc, have a look at my rig in members rides and i have a pic of an awning light there).

You cam use the 2nd battery with the ABR kit as long as you get the override switch for the dash or jumper cables ti bounce the charge to the main battery, not the best solution so I would opt for the override awitch

cairnsGU
16th April 2012, 11:25 AM
Been running one in my gu for about 12 months. Zero issues and for the price they are awesome.

Dan

macca
16th April 2012, 02:19 PM
Had one for a while, then it stopped working, that bloke Derreck would not reply to emails.
It was out of warrantee, I only wanted advice.
He's all over you when you are paying but when theres a problem.....
It worked fine for about 4 years, was a sealed unit so both advantages and disadvantages
So TJM got my money to replace the ABR that didnt work.
Macca

bigcruzer
17th April 2012, 02:45 AM
I have run one of these in the 80 Series I had, for the past 3 years. It worked well, ran an 80 litre Waeco off it and never missed a beat!

Little Mick
17th April 2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the replies,bit of food for thought there.What i ment for second battery is would you go for deep cycle or another crancking battery.

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 08:29 AM
only go deep cycle

Little Mick
17th April 2012, 08:46 AM
Ok thanks oncedisturbed,will do some homework on deep cycle batteries see whats best to use;flooed,agm or gel.

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 09:53 AM
No probs, using a crank battery for the same purposes will cause it break down quickly, same as using a deep cycle (unless a hybrid) for cranking unless in an emergency will cause the same issues

cruzin1976
3rd March 2013, 04:51 PM
Found him very rude to deal with and the LCD display very poor quality and can only be seen when looking square on to it. Unit failed in 6 months. Replaced but was very unpleasant about it

NP99
14th May 2013, 12:31 AM
Found him very rude to deal with and the LCD display very poor quality and can only be seen when looking square on to it. Unit failed in 6 months. Replaced but was very unpleasant about it

That's a good method for repeat business......NOT.