PDA

View Full Version : Soundproofing 4.2 TD continued (Moved from 'My Rides')

HuskyInAuz
15th April 2012, 08:29 PM
Almost done, worked a another hour after these photos were taken, only rear driver panel/wheel wheel left to do. I've saved four sheets for the rear passenger doors but for the life of me can't figure out how they come off! I've got the bottoms off and the single screw in the arm rest but can't see anymore poppers or screws. (you can see the one new speaker hanging in the background that I'd like to get covered before the Tuesday trip).

ripper
15th April 2012, 10:34 PM
What's that type of soundproofing material called? I'd like to do some in our Trol one day.

HuskyInAuz
15th April 2012, 11:05 PM
Solaris is the brand name, aka Dynamat, they are on Ebay. It's about 3mm thick, heavy duty aluminum foil over a bitumen/asphalt like material which goes down on the metal. I've been using a very thin aluminum 'duc' tape to cover the seams after heating and rolling. Prevents the bitumen from sticking to the carpet underlay.

ripper
15th April 2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks, I'll have to look them up.

Wine_maker
16th April 2012, 09:52 PM
Hi HuskyInAuz!
I would like to ask you about water.
If water gets on the floor of the salon, will it be sinked into soundproofing film or it can it or will it evaporate from film?

Rip'n'Shred
17th April 2012, 11:28 AM
Great stuff. Will be looking into same! Thanks for the post

HuskyInAuz
18th April 2012, 12:00 AM
Water ??? I live in the driest continent in the world we don't get wet here ;) (LOL)
We kept the drainage holes open and the 'salon' was taped over the seams. I really can't tell you water will escape normally but we only added the 3mm to what slope/drainage was already there.

HuskyInAuz
18th April 2012, 12:09 AM
Okay, run (2.15 hours) to Canberra today over a mixture of roads, paved, bitumen, washboard dirt (minor). Soundproofing was SO GOOD (lol) that I could hear my wife knitting needles clank while she was working.

Problem was not sound, rough ride ....

So given I have not done any suspension work I need to look at it and tires (tyres).
Really slammed a lot (only thing I can compare to is the X5 BUT THE PATROL HAULS a lot more !!!!) and we pulled a mate out of the ditch that was in a TNT DRW single axle delivery truck that decided to turn around in the middle of a steep ditched road. Didn't work to well.. we pulled him out NP. Asked us how much $$$ we wanted, guess we messed up, he's a bluey, I'm a bluey so we just pulled away. I'm actually surprised we didn't wreck his loading strap in the process so now I'm going to really look for a recovery strap in addition to suspension.

Scott

sooty_10
10th May 2012, 05:12 PM
Nice now I just need to find the motivation to pull the interior out of mine, Ive had the dynamat sitting in the shed for months :( Was it easy to manipulate and form to the floor and other curves?

TMC
3rd June 2012, 11:23 AM
Nice work, did you do the doors? Door trims??

HuskyInAuz
28th May 2013, 11:15 PM
To sooty_10 and TMC ..
Sorry I left to work out of the country for about 12 months and am now just getting settled back in. Given I didn't have access to the Patrol overseas and I didn't frequent the Forum.
Finished the soundproofing and even added another layer in some area.
The Solvaris/Dynamat was very easy to mold, just have to work out the angles and trim where there are compound curves and all. I put my material out on the concrete driveway when it was warm and the stuff was easy to work with. Also used a heat gun and roller to make sure the soundproofing was down. I did the doors x 2. Interior side of the outer panel and then a layer behind the panels. I also did the rear panels and over the wheel wells. I didn't do the back doors but I think I have enough to do that also.
The interior comes out pretty quickly, it's putting it back together... especially after 12 months.

BigRAWesty
28th May 2013, 11:39 PM
Welcome back mate. So how much do you think its cost you to dynomat the patrol?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

HuskyInAuz
6th June 2013, 10:48 PM
I bought four boxes of the stuff but it wasn't Dynomat but Solvaris.. I did a really quick check on ebay and can't find that brand anymore and can't exactly remember what each box was in price, around the $150 mark + shipping I think (sorry it was about 14 months ago). I was trying to calculate the area. Have to do more investigation.
Scott

Parksy
8th June 2013, 01:15 PM
Nice one husky in aus. Will be doing this to mine when i get some extra funds. Do you live in husky btw? Defence force member?