PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the cape, am I going overboard?

Gas_Guzzler4800
15th April 2012, 04:46 PM
Hey guys and sorry for another "going to the cape" thread but.....

I am planning on heading to the cape in June 2014. Giving myself plenty of time to get my truck up to scratch. I have compiled a list of "must-do's" and "if money permits" but I am wondering if I am going overboard. Some say the cape is far easier than what alot of people say it is etc. But I have always been one to over-prepare.

I will be taking the 4.8 GU patrol with an offroad camper trailer that I guess would weigh about 600kg's fully loaded. I am a little frightened of how much fuel I am going to use. Has anyone done the trip in a similar setup? We will probably head straight up the development road as I will be travelling with a 105 cruiser towing a jayco offroad camper. So we will probably avoid the OTT on the way up. But maybe set up a base camp close by and tackle the track without the campers. I have worked out that at the worst the 4.8 will use 30l/100. So 135litre fuel tank at 30l/100 gives a range of 450k's per tank. approximately 5500k's from brisbane and back will see me need 12 tanks of fuel? Does this sound about right?

Currently my truck has
3" lift
bullbar
spotties
12000lbs winch
285/75/16 KM2 mud tyres
UHF
GPS

The Must do list I have compiled is
Roof Racks
Cargo Barrier
Rear Drawers
Fridge
Dual Battery system
Rock Sliders - getting these anyway
Snorkel
Extra Spare wheel for both Patrol and Camper
spares including wheel bearings, oil, belts, hoses etc etc

The if money permits list is...
Front locker
Replace big end bearings - precautionary measure

Lewy
15th April 2012, 04:59 PM
Sorry I have no info for you about the cape yet.. But Bloody hell 30l to the 100 Man it be cheaper to sell it buy a 4.2 and start again LOL

Good luck on your trip!!! We will be doing it next year Hopefully...

Lewy

Gas_Guzzler4800
15th April 2012, 05:06 PM
haha I just came from a 4.2 turbo coil cab and couldnt go back :P
I highly doubt it will use 30l/100 but I would rather over-budget than get caught out. Also not knowing the tracks etc, soft sand/mud low range towing is going to suck the juice regadless of what engine it has.

Finly Owner
15th April 2012, 09:55 PM
I believe a Sat Phone could be handy. Check all the front end is as new, don't want to be stranded with broken front end. Check all uni joints, don't need a weak point if you need a little pit of power on. Remember to keep trailer wiring high up to avoid dragging/snagging.

Remember to deflate trailer tyres whenever you deflate 4WD tyres.

Tim

Ammon
28th April 2012, 04:45 PM
hey mate,
every track and crossing up here along the tele track has an easy way out so you can have a lot of fun, ive driven the tele track a few times at different times of the year and its never as bad as most people make out it is.

fuel is pretty expensive up here too so make sure you budget for it, were paying $1.80/L in weipa at the moment and further up north like bamaga, seisia are alot more expensive $2.00+/L .

definitely get duel battery's for your fridge, and side rails for those sticks and other things that come flying up and smash your door seals. snorkel for sure as well. and chuck in some good recovery gear so you can have that little bit of extra fun and not have to worry.

Ammon

HammerBuilder
9th May 2012, 07:54 PM

I will be taking the 4.8 GU patrol with an offroad camper trailer that I guess would weigh about 600kg's fully loaded. I am a little frightened of how much fuel I am going to use. I have worked out that at the worst the 4.8 will use 30l/100. So 135litre fuel tank at 30l/100 gives a range of 450k's per tank. approximately 5500k's from brisbane and back will see me need 12 tanks of fuel? Does this sound about right?

A mate of mine traded his 02 TI 4.8ltr couple of months after he took it to chiptorque, chip retuned his from using 29ltrs/100k with trailer down to a staggering 19ltr/100k but they also said his cam must of jumped a cog or 2 as they couldn't fully get the timing back to where it should be & if he got this done they should be able to better that by another couple of ltrs, but up popped a turbo 4.2 diesel & he traded it. Only cost him $210 for them to do this & he saved at least that in fuel the few months after he got it retuned.
Just thought you may like to get yours checked as he also picked up quite a few more pony's for the effort too.

Gas_Guzzler4800
10th May 2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks mate. Would it be possible to find out what chip he had installed? I have also contacted Chiptorque for their recommendations

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
11th May 2012, 09:24 AM
Sorry I have no info for you about the cape yet.. But Bloody hell 30l to the 100 Man it be cheaper to sell it buy a 4.2 and start again LOL

Good luck on your trip!!! We will be doing it next year Hopefully...

Lewy

After you own & drive a 4.8 you would never go back to a 4.2. Yes fuel is an issue, but that is the down fall when towing.

Cheers
David

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
11th May 2012, 09:33 AM

3" lift
bullbar
spotties
12000lbs winch
285/75/16 KM2 mud tyres
UHF
GPS

The Must do list I have compiled is
Roof Racks
Cargo Barrier
Rear Drawers
Fridge
Dual Battery system
Rock Sliders - getting these anyway
Snorkel
Extra Spare wheel for both Patrol and Camper
spares including wheel bearings, oil, belts, hoses etc etc

The if money permits list is...
Front locker
Replace big end bearings - precautionary measure

The musts are :- Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, dual battery system, extra spare wheel.

And as stated a full service and check all the suspension & bearings.

Have done the trip several times and it is no big deal if you travel in the dry and take your time.

30lt to the 100 is about normal, we were towing my catering trailer that comes in at 1200+kgs when fully loaded. It went everywhere we went, that included the Telegraph Track.

And as stated, tyre pressure is a big thing, we were running at around 26psi all the way, but keep in mind I only run 28/30 normally.

Cheers
David

1MadEngineer
11th May 2012, 02:02 PM
welding rods or a chassis brace! choice is yours.... hahaha

megatexture
11th May 2012, 02:09 PM
i changed my camper to have same tyres my patrol has same 33's same rim same offset then you realy have 2 spares for the patrol or the camper and i carry innertubes incase also

macca
11th May 2012, 07:19 PM
i changed my camper to have same tyres my patrol has same 33's same rim same offset then you realy have 2 spares for the patrol or the camper and i carry innertubes incase also

That is a great idea

Big ends? you have a reason to do that?

Gas_Guzzler4800
13th May 2012, 09:58 AM
No particular need to do the big ends, its got 250,000k's on the clock now so thought I might give it a birthday present. Would a chassis brace be necessary?

PattyWgnOwen
23rd May 2012, 08:46 PM
We did it a few years ago. Not even a puncture. Just take your time and there are plenty of people doing it so never more than a few hours from help. snorkel is a must.

BryanG
12th June 2012, 12:48 PM
Cool! want to go there as well. That would be an adventure!
That will be a long trip though .. I think the question has been answered.. just don't forget to bring everything you'll need in case of emergency.