PDA

View Full Version : towing mirrors, extending type.

Robo
14th April 2012, 09:54 PM
was wondering has anyone got these fitted to a gq they look the goods.
what are the like for vibration etc.
and does anyone know if the bolt pattern for these are the same as any other vehicle.
ebay America have em, f100, gmc etc for as little as $250 a pair delivered to Australia.
$795 ebay Au.
can get full remote+extending,blinker even heated mirror.
extra $ but way cheaper than $795 local.

cheers:bananadancing:

my third 256
16th April 2012, 10:21 AM
need to be for that particular model car as the mounting plates are different

Robo
16th April 2012, 10:35 AM
need to be for that particular model car as the mounting plates are different

Yes that right, I realise this I would like to fit a set to GQ if possible.
the amount of stuff out there that you can swap from 1 vehicle to another is unbelievable.
I am asking If anyone out there knows?, if the mirrors are interchangeable with another vehicle that is the same bolt pattern.
that these big mirrors can fit it also.
So they should be able to transfer over to GQ.
Push comes to shove as long as mirror fits corner I may even mod corner bracket to make em fit, but easy way first.
Cheers

Robo
29th April 2012, 11:25 AM
Ha my outlaw just ordered these large mirrors for his tr##py .
so guess I'll have to go for a test run sooner or later when fitted.

And then shower in detol ,lmao

mick.
29th April 2012, 05:51 PM
I was actually talking to mate this morning about these. He was telling me one of the blokes he used to work with just bought a set of American mirrors for his 4wd. I'm not sure what it actually was but apparently he couldn't get enough adjustment out of them to make them work. Because there designed for the driver to sit on the opposite side of the car the adjustment wasn't enough.

Cheers Mick.

Cowboy
29th April 2012, 07:18 PM
May I ask, What brand are they???

Robo
2nd May 2012, 03:15 AM
Who's, Micks or my out laws ?.

Cowboy
2nd May 2012, 07:00 PM
The ones from America..

Robo
8th May 2012, 02:03 PM
Cant see brand.
Looking at em, seem same as sold here cant be that many company's making em.
Made in china all of them probably, who knows.

Robo
18th May 2012, 02:18 PM
Took that yota for a drive last night.
Mirrors are way better than std but are only suited to ON road towing vehicle.
Trees will make short work of em.
Love the blind spot inserts.
simply have trouble parting with this much cash for a pr mirrors $800.
have to go bath now, lol.

bigcruzer
2nd November 2012, 09:22 PM
I have a set of these on my GU, and they are fantastic for towing. I have been all over the east coast of Australia in my 80 series in 2011, which only had the door mounted clip on mirrors, and quite often got a splitting headache from the mirror vibrations. I bought the Clear View mirrors for the GU about a month after I bought the GU and I would never go back! These mirrors are fantastic. I just did a 8500km trip through the centre with the caravan on and these mirrors stood up to the test! No vibration and no movement even with road trains racing past.

Robo
15th November 2012, 01:53 AM
I agree totally, my outlaws troopy was exactly the same as you described.
standard are crap, extended fantastic, but $800 for the first halfwit at the shops to break one, narrrr

Tux
17th November 2012, 02:03 PM
This photo looks like a clearview mirror.
Clearview are Melb based and currently do not have a mount to suit a GQ.

10 weeks ago I purchased a set of GU clear view mirrors and have fitted them to my GQ Ti 1991.

Job is not finished as they are droopy in look and only have a temporary mounting plate.

Had to cut wiring as GQ & GU have different connectors.

Have towed camper trailer Melb - Bris - via Barrington Tops - Melb - corryong - Melb and they were terriffic.

I like them, and do not regret the $700.

Just need to get some time to fabricate a proper mounting plate.

So far have only had to drill out existing holes to allow it to square the mirror up a bit.

The mirror mounting plate on a GQ Ti 1991 and the GU mirror are not the same shape. The standoff lugs on the replacement mirrors do not match the GQ, hence why an adaptor plate needs to be fabricated.
I have created a plastic version from a chopping board, but these need to be refined and tappered to stop the droopy effect that I have at the moment.

DX grunt
17th November 2012, 02:41 PM
This is what I have on mine to see around the pod. They are a genuine Nissan part, and from memory, are not that expensive at all.

Hope this helps.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Telstra%20mods/ExtraMoreDXgrunt015.jpg

Minimal moving parts and operated manually. Sorry, heater or electrics not included, lol

Rossco

Robo
20th November 2012, 03:52 AM
Yeah I know the heated mirror sound like a bit of a joke, but cold damp weather at night and one starts to appreciate this sort of help.
On the old MK I had aftermarket mirror heads as pictured.
Ran a power wire out to head inside the std arm to hide it.
fixed a globe inside behind mirror and put a switch on the dash.
21w brake light from memory.
the heat generated and trapped inside housing was enough to defrost it, worked a charm.
little on the power taxing side for 2 mirrors, but it worked.
you can purchase the motor bike hand grip warmers off ebay now.
they may do this job even better simply fixed to rear of mirror "if possible correct size and stick on".

Robo
13th December 2012, 01:38 PM
This is what I have on mine to see around the pod. They are a genuine Nissan part, and from memory, are not that expensive at all.

Hope this helps.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Telstra%20mods/ExtraMoreDXgrunt015.jpg

Minimal moving parts and operated manually. Sorry, heater or electrics not included, lol

Rossco
There are aftermarket ones on ebay now.
complete assembly

nissanforever
6th January 2013, 01:22 PM
i'd never see this in my country