PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Info required!!

BROOZA
14th April 2012, 09:10 PM
Hey Guys,

I have just pulled apart my front diff to install a "LOKKA" and the diff center is a bit worn.

It seems that the gears that sit on the axles within the diff center have worn into the actual diff center surrounding (The cast bit).

There is a 4.1 center on gumtree (same as mine, except mine is 31 spline), but it has a 37 spline center......sooooooo,

If I grab it, will I be able to swap my 31 spline "LOKKA" into it???

Are all of the center's the same?, (bar the spline count?)

Does anyone have a 4.1 center that they could sell me.....now...?

edit, found another center, its a 31 spline from a leaf sprung GU, is there any difference between the coil and the leaf sprung centers?

The bloody car is up on jack stands in the moment blocking the driveway, so if I don't fix it soon i'll be up shot creek.

Cheers.
BROOZA

TRiple edit.....Is a GU 3 litre diff centre the same as the 4.2 diesel and petrol models?

growler2058
14th April 2012, 09:31 PM
When I bought my LoKKa they said they were all the same the axle splines dont actually go into the LoKKa do they damn i cant remember!? Mmmm id be ringing 4wd systems and asking them to be sure mate

AB
14th April 2012, 09:40 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5847-What-diff-what-locker&highlight=spline

There is a 4.1 center on gumtree (same as mine), but it has a 37 spline center

What vehicle is this out of with the 37 spline?

BROOZA
14th April 2012, 09:43 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5847-What-diff-what-locker&highlight=spline

What vehicle is this out of with the 37 spline?

Hey AB

This is all I know,

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dianella/engine-engine-parts-transmission/gu-gq-nissan-patrol-diff-centre/1000077747

AB
14th April 2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah ok. I think the 4.8's had the 37 splines....Generally they are the 31's in front and 33's rear.

I don't know the answer mate, I would be only guessing unfortunately....Hopefully someone who has been down this path can confirm.

nissannewby
14th April 2012, 10:00 PM
There is a install guide on their site not sure if this will help. Having a look at these you are removing the spline gears you are talking about to fit the locker all centres were the same so it should be right to use. Just have a look at the installs on their site to verify

BROOZA
14th April 2012, 10:13 PM
There is a install guide on their site not sure if this will help. Having a look at these you are removing the spline gears you are talking about to fit the locker all centres were the same so it should be right to use. Just have a look at the installs on their site to verify

I have that page opened up on another tab ;-)

But it's not the actual install itself that is troubling me, the gears that fit onto the actual axle itself have "ground" themselves into the outer "casing". When I install the "LOKKA" components into the casing how it is, there is a lot slop of between the gear that sits on the axle and the cast casing piece that the axle gears sit in.......if that makes sense?!?!

nissannewby
14th April 2012, 10:26 PM
yeah it does. So the locker can essentially float on the axles in the centre? Front diffs were usually all the same apart from ratios obviously some of the leaf rears were larger. As long as the centre you get is the same ratio and out of the front it should be as simple as fitting the locker to it and re installing to your vehicle

BROOZA
14th April 2012, 10:41 PM
yeah it does. So the locker can essentially float on the axles in the centre? Front diffs were usually all the same apart from ratios obviously some of the leaf rears were larger. As long as the centre you get is the same ratio and out of the front it should be as simple as fitting the locker to it and re installing to your vehicle

Muchos gracias.

So even if it has a different spline count it doesnt matter because I will be fitting the correct spline count when I install the lokka? (Just thinking about the one on gumtree that is the same ratio but a 37 spline count)

nissannewby
14th April 2012, 10:45 PM
Yes that i believe is correct and the install pictures show that as well. You have yours stripped and you have removed the standard gears with the splines in yes?

BROOZA
14th April 2012, 10:53 PM
"So the locker can essentially float on the axles in the centre?"

Yeah, you got it, that would be the result if it got any worse.

BROOZA
14th April 2012, 10:56 PM
Yes that i believe is correct and the install pictures show that as well. You have yours stripped and you have removed the standard gears with the splines in yes?

Yep. In a million pieces and not looking good.

nissannewby
14th April 2012, 11:00 PM
Sounds like she been like that for a while to do that. Just to be sure take a few measurements to compare with the others before you purchase just to be on the safe side. Other than that i hope it all works out for you.

BROOZA
14th April 2012, 11:12 PM
Cheers Mate,

Appreciate the help.

BROOZA
15th April 2012, 04:22 PM
I have found a 3 litre GU centre on gumtree....

Can anyone tell me if they are the same centers as the 4.2 models??????

nissannewby
15th April 2012, 08:53 PM
As far as i know they are you can bolt centres out of GQs into GUs and vice versa the only thing that changes is the ratio.

BROOZA
15th April 2012, 10:31 PM
edit,

Found one this evening, just whacked the lokka into the center, will install tomorrow.

Thanks all who helped.