PDA

View Full Version : Removing Locknuts

Woof
14th April 2012, 07:20 PM
I have lost my socket that removes the locknut on my wheels and my question is how the hell do I get them off..lol

the ferret
14th April 2012, 07:36 PM
Hey Doggy, that's a bummer mate.
There are only a certain amount of combinations , so you may be able to get another.
If you have no luck, call around and I'll see if I can make something for you to undo them.
Hope ya don't get a flat on the way lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

97_gq_lwb
14th April 2012, 07:39 PM
If you have a half inch drive socket set usually you can find a tight fitting socket tap it over the locking nut undo it then tap it back out.

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2012, 07:42 PM
Vice grips and a hammer will get it done. Ugly but efficient.

Silver
14th April 2012, 08:56 PM
there used to be a thing called a pin wrench. A cylinder full of fairly snug fitting parallel pins. you were meant to push them over the nut - only the ones past the edge could slide past the nut and hold the faces.

I suppose it would work in the holes in the lock nuts.

Maybe epoxy a big socket over it if you don't like the vice grip/stilson idea :-), assuming you can't get a replacement.

I've been thinking about getting rid of the lock nuts on Silver for a while - although the worst I have done so far is not tell the tyre shop where it was :-)

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2012, 09:00 PM
there used to be a thing called a pin wrench. A cylinder full of fairly snug fitting parallel pins. you were meant to push them over the nut - only the ones past the edge could slide past the nut and hold the faces.

I suppose it would work in the holes in the lock nuts.

Maybe epoxy a big socket over it if you don't like the vice grip/stilson idea :-), assuming you can't get a replacement.

I've been thinking about getting rid of the lock nuts on Silver for a while - although the worst I have done so far is not tell the tyre shop where it was :-)

When I had to get mine off I tried one of these with great expectation, but alas, not a chance! It just couldn't get the purchase you need to crack the nut

NissanGQ4.2
14th April 2012, 09:05 PM
If you want 2 pay a few bucks, take it 2 a tyre shop, they should get it of for you no drama's.

Could always drive 2 my hood.....leave it out the front for 1 min...the lock nuts will be off before you know it, rest off 4b might be missing also but that is the price we pay for a good service these days
*LMAO*

megatexture
14th April 2012, 09:13 PM
angle grinder and make some flat sides to grip on provided u can get in there enough

iansmqshotyy
14th April 2012, 09:56 PM
Im a tyre fitter just bang a 12 piont 1/2 drive over it ,,,,, hard. there is a special tool some places have its like a socket, but has a corse tapered lh thead in it so you bang it on and in theroy is supposed to bite harder as you go. failing all this hammer and cold chisel and they will come off.... just dont miss!!!

BearGUST
14th April 2012, 11:25 PM
I've taken heaps of sets off my hitting a socket over the top of the lock nut, make sure it's a double-hex socket that is just a little tight over the lock nut.

Woof
3rd June 2012, 07:28 PM
Well they are finally off after 4 hours and a few beers, tried vice grips and hammer..failed, tried different sockets...failed..........picked up hammer, vice grips and various sockets from my yard, the neighbors and the street, BUT THE WINNER IS WITH THE COLD CHISEL AND HAMMER.................IAN, WELL DONE MATE..LOL

NissanGQ4.2
3rd June 2012, 07:33 PM
Well they are finally off after 4 hours and a few beers, tried vice grips and hammer..failed, tried different sockets...failed..........picked up hammer, vice grips and various sockets from my yard, the neighbors and the street, BUT THE WINNER IS WITH THE COLD CHISEL AND HAMMER.................IAN, WELL DONE MATE..LOL

4 weeks, this thread was started years ago...............*LMAO*

Woof
3rd June 2012, 07:55 PM
Hey Todd we don't rush things over here mate....LOL
Slow and steady gets the job done correctly...
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/003-5.jpg

GUtsy ute
3rd June 2012, 08:00 PM
Now you will find the socket!!

NissanGQ4.2
3rd June 2012, 08:04 PM
Hey Todd we don't rush things over here mate....LOL
Slow and steady gets the job done

I don't think you needed 2 be slow and steady Wayne for that hack job, the boyz back in my old hood would of taken more care in removing those lock nuts just 2 steal the wheels *LMAO*

Woof
3rd June 2012, 08:18 PM
Now you will find the socket!!

Mate I was thinking that the whole time I was belting it...................so hope that it does not happen...lol

Woof
3rd June 2012, 08:20 PM
I don't think you needed 2 be slow and steady Wayne for that hack job, the boyz back in my old hood would of taken more care in removing those lock nuts just 2 steal the wheels *LMAO*

HACK JOB, I will have you know that a hammer and cold chisel are precision instruments Todd..lol

my third 256
4th June 2012, 12:56 PM
glad you didnt have a flat while thinking about removing rims

timbar
4th June 2012, 03:07 PM
weld a nut on the end and then just undo it 2min job mate

97_gq_lwb
4th June 2012, 05:01 PM
I have never had one the socket trick didn't work on .
Damn mess maybe they were overtightened i could have killed this idiot at a tyre service center one day he started doing the lock nuts up with a rattle gun.
Even the boss come out and got up the fool as well..