PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent flat battery

DX grunt
22nd September 2010, 11:32 PM
Hi All.

Our new member donjan is a mechanic too and has worked on telstra trucks same as mine. I have a question for him but feel free to answer.

If I don't drive my truck for a few days the battery goes flat. However, this was proven wrong after I recently went to Bali for 10 days. I came back and it turned over first time.

I had the positive battery lead on the main battery changed about 3 months ago, coz I thought that was the problem, but obviously not. Drive it around for 5-10 mins, and the charge is back up.

My left hand IPF spottie doesn't work either. Globe looks ok

Thanks in advance.

YNOT
22nd September 2010, 11:50 PM
Use a multimeter to check if there is power getting to the LH spottie, check the earth resistance as well. If power and earth are OK then it probably is the globe. The globe may look OK, but check it's resistance to see if it's open circuit.

Battery going flat over a few days could be a number of things. With the car off as you would have it when parked, check the amp drawer from the battery, it should be less than 0.05 amp. If it's higher than that, start pulling fuses out until you track down which circuit has the fault, and track it from there.
It could also be a faulty diode in the alternator.

Tony

donjan
23rd September 2010, 09:08 AM
Tony has covered it well. you first need to establish have I got battery voltage to the globe, have I got a good earth point and is the globe ok? once you know the answer to these questions you then know were to look from there.
With regard to intermitant flat battery once again Tony has covered this and I would add that check any aftermarket accessories ie uhf radios left on etc, wiring to these accessories that may have rubbed to earth and if you have dual batteries I have had a case of faulty battery isolator and a fridge on the 2nd battery draining the main battery because of the faulty isolator. Rare fault but start with the basics first as described in Tony's Blog. Remember the KISS principle (Keep it simple stupid) Most faults are solved by elimnating the obvious first.
Hope this helps... Let us know how you go or if we can be of more help.
Don

DX grunt
23rd September 2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks Tony and Don.

Much appreciated. I love a KISS approach. lol

Woof
23rd September 2010, 06:25 PM
Hey Ross , just don't ark the battery with the dipstick mate........................sorry could not resist:1087:

DX grunt
23rd September 2010, 07:14 PM
Hey Ross , just don't ark the battery with the dipstick mate........................sorry could not resist:1087:

I hope I learn't after the second time. Let's wait and see. lol

justrocho
22nd November 2010, 09:24 PM
does the clock in gq s normaly stay lit up 24/7

NissanGQ4.2
22nd November 2010, 09:30 PM

In my 92 GQ TI its not on 24/7 and i doubt any other model would be factory set up that way.

YNOT
22nd November 2010, 09:49 PM

Are you talking about the liquid crystal display of the clock, or the back lighting of it? LCD's drawer very little current so some manufactures do hard wire them to be on all the time. The clock in my van is on all the time.

Tony