PDA

View Full Version : Can you have a snorkle on gas?

Patty
11th June 2010, 09:35 PM
Just curious if anyone knows or seen anyone on gas using a snorkel?

ive got got a 4.2 GQ Patrol and needing a snorkel but wondering if it will work?

Ive heard some stories with mates that that you need to balance it or something, sorry but i forget what they were saying?

Anyone heard or done this before?

How'd you go?

Cheers blokes!

the evil twin
11th June 2010, 10:21 PM
Yes, you should get the Gas dude to make sure the balance is OK but it isn't as big an issue as if you Turbo the vehicle for example. It isn't all that popular a mod on LPG trucks 'cause an LPG backfire thru a snork can be really special... so carry a spare pair of undies

AB
11th June 2010, 10:52 PM
There have also been some issues with the ram air effect. Some people have had their snorkels facing backwards with great success. If your ok driving around with your snorkel facing the wrong way then it can be an option but you may get guys pointing fingers and asking questions.

Johnno
11th June 2010, 11:26 PM
your not cool unless you wear your snorkel backwards.

the evil twin
12th June 2010, 12:54 PM
Just curious if anyone knows or seen anyone on gas using a snorkel?

Yeah... but you can't be discreet... the trail of bubbles emanating from your swimmers is a dead give away... :p

Turning your snorkel backwards will confuse the casual observer as too the source but only if you are snorkelling in a group :cool:

Patty
12th June 2010, 01:06 PM
Hang out near the spa jets and no one will know :)

Rossco
14th June 2010, 08:16 PM
G'day Patty, my GQ is on gas and has a custom snorkel made from 3" stainless tube and rubber elbows, seems they are getting quite popular now. I think they look quite good and you end up having the top facing backwards which is good for gas and also at stopping water getting down when hitting the mud fast. You do need a balance pipe and to adjust the mixtures, hopefully you've got a good gas dude you can trust. Good Luck.

jamied
7th September 2010, 08:21 PM
Hey Rossco. I'm also looking into making a stainless snorkel for my dual fuel 3.0 lt gq. What do you mean by a balance pipe??

Trolatron
7th September 2010, 08:46 PM
My 4.2 is on petrol and gas if i turn the snorkel the right way around it runs near stalls, actually if i give it even a slight blow with air compressor down the snorkel it does stall.

its tuned in favour of the gass, when im on petrol and go to accelerate it has a slight miss. But it is in need of a tune up.

93maverick
7th September 2010, 08:49 PM
ive got one on my gas tb42 and it seems to be fine mines facing forward until i go bush and turn it backwards to stop dust an crap

razzerback
7th September 2010, 08:58 PM
I have been told by a few people, as well as a lpg installer. To turn the snorkel, so it faces backwards. Then get it returned to gas again and it shouldn't have a problem.

AB
7th September 2010, 09:34 PM
Hey Rossco. I'm also looking into making a stainless snorkel for my dual fuel 3.0 lt gq. What do you mean by a balance pipe??

I've never had LPG so correct me if I'm wrong anyone but a balance pipe is needed for the positive pressure of the air flow which tells the gas system to run more gas into the engine.

I would try the backwards snorkel first and see how that goes and then look into the balance pipe afterwards.

patch697
8th September 2010, 01:51 PM
I've never had LPG so correct me if I'm wrong anyone but a balance pipe is needed for the positive pressure of the air flow which tells the gas system to run more gas into the engine.

I would try the backwards snorkel first and see how that goes and then look into the balance pipe afterwards.

Fitting a snorkel to a duel fuel setup has one inherent problem... After you've fitted it & start it sitting stationery it will all seem fine but when you take it on its first spin out on the road it will start to run rough. the reason is force feeding air into the intake system via a snorkel pressurizers the intake & interrupts the signal for the gas (this is most noticeable at around 60ks as you cruse).

Installing a balance pipe from the the intake to your gas converter (where depends on your gas system) balances out the pressure to help the gas converter maintain an accurate signal but is not always successful.

& yes AB you are correct in what you are saying, by turning the head of the snorkel to the back stops it forcing air in & pressurizing the intake which in turn doesn't effect the signal to the gas system.

This is only the case when running on gas however as while running on petrol with the head of the snorkel facing forwards you should notice a "slight" increase in power & throttle response.

I hope this is of some help

Cheers
Paul

tallman
29th December 2014, 04:37 PM
Old thread but thought I would add my 2 cents..Contrary to popular belief having the snorkel facing backwards is not the "wrong way around", the first snorkel that was invented faced backwards and its also recommend to do so when driving in heavy snow or very muddy/dusty conditions.

Agronaught
29th December 2014, 05:20 PM
So would a pre cleaner be a better option for a snorkel on LPG?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/281232393114

I think it's a Donaldson filter but could be wrong.

mudski
29th December 2014, 08:19 PM
Old thread but thought I would add my 2 cents..Contrary to popular belief having the snorkel facing backwards is not the "wrong way around", the first snorkel that was invented faced backwards and its also recommend to do so when driving in heavy snow or very muddy/dusty conditions.
Just because the first snorkel was fitted the wrong way around doesn't mean its right. :tease:

So would a pre cleaner be a better option for a snorkel on LPG?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/281232393114 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fm.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2F2812323931 14)

I think it's a Donaldson filter but could be wrong.
A Precleaner might be an option for LPG as the air flow is less than a snorkel. TBH I didn't think that the snorkel would affect the LPG. Seems that it may.

threedogs
30th December 2014, 06:19 PM

Been a while Jamie but the balance pipe I think fits between the air filter box and the snorkel its self.
I had a dual fuel 4x4 on gas with a snorkel for over 400ks never had a problem

Dervo
28th January 2015, 12:22 AM
Just to dig up this old one but has any one got any new news on this as I have a dual fuel tb42 and am thinking about getting one installed...

threedogs
28th January 2015, 01:11 PM
If you are getting someone to install it for you they may do as part of the price
I'd ask first

tallman
14th June 2015, 11:19 PM
I bought a Safari snorkel for my dual fuel 4.5 Patrol and fitted it a few months back, quite a easy job actually, and funny enough no need for a balance pipe as it runs fine on both petrol and gas for some reason, so happy with the outcome.