PDA

View Full Version : mk sd 33 and 5 speed into mq sd33 4 speed shorty will it all fit?

iansmqshotyy
13th April 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi all was just wondering if any one here has done an engine and 5 speed swap into an mq shorty? both are sd 33 but im not sure about the gearbags, drive shafts ect...

Finly Owner
13th April 2012, 10:28 PM
You may need to chase different shafts, as the rear in shorty and wagons are different(of course), and then Ibelieve I read from either MQ Mad or Ferret that the four and five speed shafts in front are different. But you may be lucky between MQ Mad and myself. No promises without looking though.

Tim

iansmqshotyy
13th April 2012, 10:35 PM
so will the front shaft from the mk fit? ive got the whole truck...

Finly Owner
13th April 2012, 10:43 PM
I'm 90% sure it will. I haven't done the swap myself, but by all counts, it's exactly the same front diffs and The MK motor and box is what you are using so yes it would be right. The rear shaft will be the one that you will have to find, as the five speed is longer than the four speed. So, the shorty rear will be too long, and the wagon will be too long for the shorty as well. Need to ask MQ Mad which rear one you need.

Tim

the ferret
13th April 2012, 10:45 PM
so will the front shaft from the mk fit? ive got the whole truck...

5 spd into a 4 speed shorty, you will need to shorten the rear shaft, lengthen the front shaft.
5 speed onto sd33na has a different spiggot size unless you swap the input shaft.
You can make a spiggot bush to fit the flywheel, the sd33T and SD33NA have two sizes crankshaft bore for the spiggot bush.
Cheers, the ferret.

the ferret
13th April 2012, 10:48 PM
I'm 90% sure it will. I haven't done the swap myself, but by all counts, it's exactly the same front diffs and The MK motor and box is what you are using so yes it would be right. The rear shaft will be the one that you will have to find, as the five speed is longer than the four speed. So, the shorty rear will be too long, and the wagon will be too long for the shorty as well. Need to ask MQ Mad which rear one you need.

Tim

Hey Tim, the 5 speed rear drive line is 85mm shorter than the 4 speed.
So you would need to have yours shortened on the rear and lengthened for the front or just chase up a a front shaft from a 5 speed.
Having a shaft shortened is much cheaper than lenghthened
Cheers, the ferret.

iansmqshotyy
13th April 2012, 10:59 PM
can i use the mk front one ferret?

the ferret
13th April 2012, 11:02 PM
can i use the mk front one ferret?
I'm pretty sure it will be 85mm too short, I remember lengthening mine, but that was 15 years ago
But if it is from a 5 speed, yes.

Cheers, the ferret.

iansmqshotyy
13th April 2012, 11:08 PM
yeah ta ferret , ill be trying the one from the mk 5 speed, glad i have the whole truck!

the ferret
14th April 2012, 12:06 AM
The front shaft from the MK 5 speed will fit into your MQ that had the 4 speed, the front diff is in the same position as the 5 speed mk.
To fit the 5 speed box into an mq that was a 4 speed, you will need to shorten the rear shaft, as the box is longer, you will also need to modify the rear gearbox mounts.
If you are fitting a 5 speed to a NA sd33, you will need to make a spiggot bush for the flywheel.
If you are fitting a complete sd33T and 5speed box into an MQ that was a 4 speed, you only need to modify the rear shaft and gearbox mounts.
Cheers, the ferret.

MQ MAD
14th April 2012, 10:36 AM
Hi all was just wondering if any one here has done an engine and 5 speed swap into an mq shorty? both are sd 33 but im not sure about the gearbags, drive shafts ect...

Motor and box bolt straight in,except the exhaust will be shorter at the front due to the turbo
The 5 speed shafts are different in the 4 speed and the 5 speed in all as the 5 speed gearbox is longer
So longer front shaft and shorter rear shaft
IF for some reason you cant obtain the 5 speed tailshafts for this conversion (ive a set here) keep the 4 speed the SD33T will bolt up but the throw out bearing on the clutch fork is different , but if you have a donor car that has this bit just swap it over (not sure re the spigot bush,ive just done an SD33T conversion in an n/a, but was a 5 speed, maybe its a 4 speed thing ???)
Its alot easier IF you can split the motor and box for the refit , as it can and does get hooked up on the rad support ,firewall and box gets hooked up on the xmember underneath

iansmqshotyy
14th April 2012, 11:55 AM
both motors are na.... its the drive shafts i was worried about and if the front 5 speed shaft will go ill just get the rear shortened (:

MQ MAD
14th April 2012, 03:19 PM
So you already have the front 5 speed shaft ???
The rear tailshaft are a 2 piece so not sure how theyll go shortening it, as they will need the open and closed measurements to be accurate to the factory 5 speed shaft specs to be right
The tailshafts are 2 piece and slide inside each other as the car flexes, unlike a normal tailshaft that slides in and out of the gearbo in a car
Have a look youll see what i mean
The MQ will be a 24V, so swapping the engines over youll need to swap over all the 24V gear, or convert the car to a 12V, which entails wiring alterations, different guages and such
As simple as these old rigs are there is always little pitfalls when mix n matching between MQ and MK

Finly Owner
15th April 2012, 11:34 PM
So you already have the front 5 speed shaft ???
The rear tailshaft are a 2 piece so not sure how theyll go shortening it, as they will need the open and closed measurements to be accurate to the factory 5 speed shaft specs to be right
The tailshafts are 2 piece and slide inside each other as the car flexes, unlike a normal tailshaft that slides in and out of the gearbo in a car
Have a look youll see what i mean
The MQ will be a 24V, so swapping the engines over youll need to swap over all the 24V gear, or convert the car to a 12V, which entails wiring alterations, different guages and such
As simple as these old rigs are there is always little pitfalls when mix n matching between MQ and MKYou can get around the 24V problem with a device that allows 24V for motor and supplies all other parts of vehicle 12V.

I know as I have a F Truck with 24V Isuzu engine in it and all other electics r original 12V running of this inverter thingy. I'll have to find out it's name again.

Tim

MQ MAD
16th April 2012, 09:21 AM
You can get around the 24V problem with a device that allows 24V for motor and supplies all other parts of vehicle 12V.

I know as I have a F Truck with 24V Isuzu engine in it and all other electics r original 12V running of this inverter thingy. I'll have to find out it's name again.

Tim

Those things help
My miso canter was a 24V , we had to get the trailer connecter converted to 12V , sick of changing bulbs everytime i needed trailer

pod
17th April 2012, 02:25 AM
Those things help
My miso canter was a 24V , we had to get the trailer connecter converted to 12V , sick of changing bulbs everytime i needed trailer

thats why i changed my trailer to 12v-30v led lights

Finly Owner
17th April 2012, 11:38 PM
Those things help
My miso canter was a 24V , we had to get the trailer connecter converted to 12V , sick of changing bulbs everytime i needed trailerYeah it's not a simple converterlike that, thisthing supplys 24 to starter but 12 v to alternator lights etc.

Tim

iansmqshotyy
18th April 2012, 08:44 PM
fortunately im just goin swap all the 24v onto the mk engine, beauty of having 2 whole trucks (:

Finly Owner
18th April 2012, 09:24 PM
fortunately im just goin swap all the 24v onto the mk engine, beauty of having 2 whole trucks (:That'll work

Tim

MQ MAD
19th April 2012, 02:38 PM
fortunately im just goin swap all the 24v onto the mk engine, beauty of having 2 whole trucks (:
Starter , yes
Alternator , yes (theres a few different alternators and brackets but use what you have )
IP,there 12V and 24V so you mite have to swap that over
The glow plugs are 12V or 24V , so swap them as well
Thats of the top of me head

iansmqshotyy
19th April 2012, 09:16 PM
oil pres and temp senders too.... im just going to use everything that comes off the mq on the new motor...oh and revers light sitch too id wager (:

sickshorty
1st January 2014, 05:53 PM
5 spd into a 4 speed shorty, you will need to shorten the rear shaft, lengthen the front shaft.
5 speed onto sd33na has a different spiggot size unless you swap the input shaft.
You can make a spiggot bush to fit the flywheel, the sd33T and SD33NA have two sizes crankshaft bore for the spiggot bush.
Cheers, the ferret.

Does the same thing apply to the 5 speed from the na to the "turbo box" if there is such a thing?