PDA

View Full Version : Gq rear brake upgrade

89GQ
22nd September 2010, 10:46 PM
Hi, Anyone done or know of what the process is to change a GQ rear Drum Diff to Disk Diff, Got me a disk to disk diff! Any thing i should know about before swapping them over??? Cheers

YNOT
22nd September 2010, 11:04 PM
I've never done it myself, but the diff itself should bolt straight in. I'm assuming you will be keeping your original diff centre?
The only possible complication I can think may arise, is some cars with drum brake back ends have a valve in the master cylinder that holds a small amount of pressure in the rear brake line to stop the shoes retracting too far. That valve can (if fitted) cause problems if disc brakes are fitted. I don't know for sure if this applies to Patrols.

Tony

89GQ
23rd September 2010, 01:58 PM
Has the same centre 4.1 as mine ,Done another thread susing out recond. calipers. Will look into the master cylinder if needed will get second hand of a disk rear model. Cheers. Cant wait to stop better!! PS. F##K It's HEAVY !!!!!!!!

89GQ
19th November 2010, 07:27 PM
Got my disk brake diff in,Yahoo can stop properly,The panhard bushes were shot.

NissanGQ4.2
19th November 2010, 11:23 PM
love your home made press, i need one of those :)

89GQ
20th November 2010, 11:58 PM
love your home made press, i need one of those :) Yeh its done alot of work! Few peices of H beam and tube welded together. The small jack i put on it upside down went for a few years but the seals are gone in it. The 10 ton one will be in next.