PDA

View Full Version : 'nother neophyte (newbie) question, 17" versus 16"

HuskyInAuz
13th April 2012, 08:10 PM
Many folks have read my 'intro' but a bit of background, I had a '06 ST-L 4.8 dual fuel and kept the '04 ST 4.2 TD and now upgrading.

The ST-L rode a lot better IMHO but it had 17" OEM rims and only airbags on the rear end. I've been looking at putting on another set of tyres (tires (read-intro ;)) with a highway tread for the time being as there are good 16" CSA / BFG AT's on there now.

In reviewing a lot of posts, there seems to be a lot of suggestions for folks going to 16" versus 17" and there are a fair number of used 17" OEM rims/wheels for sale on various sites. I'm sure I need to consider a 2" lift when a suspension upgrade is done later in the year. I'm just scratching my head as to why the ST-L, with more K's, rode better than what I have now and the original owner said he'd not changed the shocks.

The tyre I like is a 17" (Toyo H/T) but I'm curious why there are so many suggestions to 16" ? I'm mainly concerned with highway driving right now (that will change in the future 2-3 years).

Thanks,
Scott

Rosco
13th April 2012, 11:10 PM
I have 17" rims on my GQ with 33" mud tyres. I have had these for around 6 years and have done 70k and are still really good in the tread.
The tyres were similarly price at the time but the rims were $140 ea vs $55 ea for 15". Cant help with any info on the 16" sorry.
I wouldn't know any reason why I would choose 16" over 17" unless there is a big price difference.

I wonder if the petrol engine has any influence on the ride between the diesel? Just a thought.

Rusty86
14th April 2012, 12:06 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think in the outback a 16 inch rim is much more common and easily accessible compared to the 17, this might have something to do with it. If you're not going anywhere too remote this may not be an issue and 17s will be fine.

Is there much difference in price at all?

HuskyInAuz
14th April 2012, 07:47 AM
I'm keeping the offroad tyres/rims to put back on at a later date, they are 16" CSA / BFG A/T so I've been looking at rims. 17" seem to be a problem with selection and I've looked at CSA, Speedy, ROH, All Wheels, Performance, and a few others an the ones that I'm interested in I've been told won't fit a Patrol. So if I want 17" then looking at the OEM rim (which I have no problem with except finding a set in good shape close to Jervis Bay ;). I was also told at the tyre shop where I get the other cars fitted out that there is less sidewall with a 17" (ya) which equates to slightly more stable ride turning and swerving to miss the potholes.

As far a pricing goes, I actually haven't asked about 16" in the same style as I want in the 17", probably should do so. You would 'assume' the diesel has a heavier front end, now if there is different suspension components would be an interesting question. I'm guessing.... nah.

gregs
14th April 2012, 09:14 AM
Many folks have read my 'intro' but a bit of background, I had a '06 ST-L 4.8 dual fuel and kept the '04 ST 4.2 TD and now upgrading.

The ST-L rode a lot better IMHO but it had 17" OEM rims and only airbags on the rear end. I've been looking at putting on another set of tyres (tires (read-intro ;)) with a highway tread for the time being as there are good 16" CSA / BFG AT's on there now.

In reviewing a lot of posts, there seems to be a lot of suggestions for folks going to 16" versus 17" and there are a fair number of used 17" OEM rims/wheels for sale on various sites. I'm sure I need to consider a 2" lift when a suspension upgrade is done later in the year. I'm just scratching my head as to why the ST-L, with more K's, rode better than what I have now and the original owner said he'd not changed the shocks.

The tyre I like is a 17" (Toyo H/T) but I'm curious why there are so many suggestions to 16" ? I'm mainly concerned with highway driving right now (that will change in the future 2-3 years).

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

I have 16's on my patrol at the moment and they are LT265/75 R16 mickey thompson MTZ's on steel rims. I did this because of the trips we were doing, as it was much easier to find 16's out in the bush than 17's as not many towns stocked them at the time and would have to be ordered in. I believe now it is starting to change as more and more vehicles with the bigger tyres are heading into the outback. And the steel rims could be bashed back into shape if they got dinted whereas an alloy can't be.

Plus at the time the 17's were more expensive. I picked up my 16"tyres and rims for around the same price $400each set (tyre/rim) as just the tyre in 17's.

If you want new rims get a hold of nizzbits (he's a vendor on here) and ask him as he used to get sets of original rims and tyres in on occasion and they were practically brand new.

The tyre guy is right in that less sidewall means less roll of the tyre, but pressures and wall strength/ tyre construction would play a part as well

Cheers

Greg

nissannewby
14th April 2012, 12:07 PM
Allied wheels mate have a good selection and range of sizes plus they can custom make there wheels to you desired offset and stud patter. I have a set on my GU they look good are load rated and she rides nice. However they are a 16" with 285/75 km2's on em. And as for the tyres 16" have a lot more range and availabilty 17" will get there as they are becoming more common now but you are more likely able to get a 16" in remote locations than a 17"

Ben-e-boy
14th April 2012, 12:40 PM
I would keep the 16's so the tyre can bag out more at low pressures.

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2012, 01:06 PM
I run 16s on my GUIV as a tourer because the 16s are far easier to get in the outback, most others in a group will ahve 16s (Generally 285/75/R16) and that makes everyone able to help everyone if the worst happens on a trip.

Many guys now are going to 17s on their bush trucks running 37s but for outback the 16s are teh go.

I changed to steel rims too for the touring as they can be panel beated back into shape should you bend one rather than cracking and wrecking an Alloy. The new Alloys have a much higher load rating than a steel rim but they just not bend damn it!

16s here.

Rosco
14th April 2012, 11:46 PM
I would keep the 16's so the tyre can bag out more at low pressures.

You dont need the tyre to bag out, they grow longer when running low. I usually go to 18 on a day out and 16 if slippery on my 17's and this makes a big difference.

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 02:08 PM
You dont need the tyre to bag out, they grow longer when running low. I usually go to 18 on a day out and 16 if slippery on my 17's and this makes a big difference.

2psi makes a big difference whether you're running 30 inch tyres or 52 inch tyres, I prefer the smaller rim as the surface area from it growing in length and width is greater

nissannewby
15th April 2012, 02:20 PM
I run 15" rims with 35's and dont usually drop pressures any lower than 20 psi and it works good. Tyres with a larger sidewall will make a larger footprint at lower pressures. Any pressure drop on any size wheel/tyre combo is gonna net gains. But this is about rim size :P. 15 and 16" tyres are probably the easiest size to get a hold of in most situations and are still cheaper than the larger wheel size its also easier to find a load rated tyre in the smaller size as they have been around longer.

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 04:45 PM
I run 15" rims with 35's and dont usually drop pressures any lower than 20 psi and it works good. Tyres with a larger sidewall will make a larger footprint at lower pressures. Any pressure drop on any size wheel/tyre combo is gonna net gains. But this is about rim size :P. 15 and 16" tyres are probably the easiest size to get a hold of in most situations and are still cheaper than the larger wheel size its also easier to find a load rated tyre in the smaller size as they have been around longer.

20?? I drop to 15 most of the time and 12 the rest

growler2058
15th April 2012, 04:57 PM
20?? I drop to 15 most of the time and 12 the rest

Have you got bead locks Ben? i usually drop to 18

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 08:11 PM
Have you got bead locks Ben? i usually drop to 18

no mate Maxxis Trepadores the beads are good for 12 psi. dont know why more people dont run them

HuskyInAuz
15th April 2012, 08:48 PM
So the 17" OEM rims were for highway work ?? 80/20 rule..
There is a lot of selection at 16" but I'll be doing mostly road driving this next year or so.

Scott

nissannewby
15th April 2012, 08:58 PM
20?? I drop to 15 most of the time and 12 the rest Yeah thats just sorta what i have always run tyres still bag real well and less likely to come off the bead traction is good this all most of me and mates run in our tyres. I do remember one time a mate of mine had creepy crawlers and had to put 10psi in to get them to work well.