PDA

View Full Version : GQ gearbox

Rudi
22nd September 2010, 08:24 PM
Just bought a GQ without gearbox, got a 4 speed box out of an MQ. is there any chance of fitting it to the gq? Any help greatly appreaciated.

Rudi

DX grunt
22nd September 2010, 08:34 PM
G'day Rudi

Welcome to the forum. Somebody on here will be able to help, very shortly.

The forum's having a get together in South OZ in 2012, if you're interested. It should be up near the top of the threads somewhere. Have a squiz. Pics of yr truck would be nice too. lol

Rudi
22nd September 2010, 08:45 PM
Thanx CX grunt very intersted in the get together.
The patrol is not a pretty sight at the moment it's been ina paddock for anout a year with no rear windows. there is lots of rust all over it. It's going to be a project for my 13yo son and myself. It's petrol and on gas, have been told not to bother with it and look for a diesel, but my son found the car and wants to fix it up. What do you think?
Thank you again for the quick reply.

Rudi

AB
22nd September 2010, 09:31 PM
Just bought a GQ without gearbox, got a 4 speed box out of an MQ. is there any chance of fitting it to the gq? Any help greatly appreaciated.

Rudi
Hi Rudi, someone may hopefully go in more detail but I'm not sure that can be done "easily".

I have never done that but the GQ has a centred rear diff and the MQ are a bit offset and the mounts will be different too so it doesnt sound like an easy job.

Personally, i would try and find a GQ gearbox as the time and money could end up blowing out trying to make it work.

Leave this thread for a bit and hopefully someone who knows more about it will offer some more detailed advice.

YNOT
22nd September 2010, 09:41 PM
Exactly as AB said, MQ/MK rear output shaft is offset, GQ requires a centre output.
Keep an eye on the various 4X4 forums, people are wrecking GQ's all the time so cheap gearboxes come up regularly. Gearboxes are the same between petrol and diesel (TB and TD engines), but the bell housings are different.

Tony

Rudi
22nd September 2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, I do have the original gear box but the tranfer case is out. The tail shaft came off and put a hole in the dide of the transfer case, would i be better just looking for another transfer case?

rudi

YNOT
22nd September 2010, 10:42 PM
That sounds like a simpler idea. It shouldn't be too hard to find a second hand transfer case. A transfer case from any model GQ will do, they are all the same.

Tony