PDA

View Full Version : which batteries?

burls
13th April 2012, 09:04 AM
hey guys, ive got a gq td42t, ive just fitted a liquid to air intercooler set up with a davies craig thermo on the heat exchanger, it has a water pump for the system too, on top of that i run a thermo on the radiator, and also a 12,000lbs winch, i am wanting to upgrade my batteries so I was wonder what I really need to get? should i be looking at getting a dual battery setup aswell as a 3rd battery for the winch? and what type i should be going with? i want it to be a good set up and am willing to spend the $$ if its worth it. any help would be great..

cheers

lachiek
13th April 2012, 09:28 AM
Mate I used to have a dual battery setup with a massive Century as the main and some cheap thing as the aux. Worked well for years but when I got my new truck I decided to try a 75AH Optima 'Yellow Top' (dual purpose start/deep cycle) on its own. This was to save weight and space in my SWB and I had the safety of mainly doing short weekend trips with mates so I had backup if I ran flat.

I haven't run a winch of it so cant help you there but after having it for a year I get more power and better starting out of this one battery than I did out of the dual setup. This is running a fridge, lights, stereo etc.

Now I go away more as a single car I installed a low voltage cutout for accessories and have a 120W solar panel for battery topup. I will only get a dual setup when I go round Aus and I will be keeping the Optima and adding another of the same cause you can't beat dual purpose.

They aren't cheap though. My 2c. Lachie

AB
13th April 2012, 10:05 AM
I'm running the Exide 4x4 commercial 600 or 660 CCA for the cranking with the winch connected to this too which is more than enough and highly recommend it.

http://www.exide.com.au/images/brands/4-x-4-light-truck-large.jpg

Also running the Exide 95AH deep cycle marine type battery for the Aux running fridge, camper and rear light as I don't have a shield on the turbo and these ones can handle the heat better then others.

Whereabouts are you located, go speak to a good 4wd shop about your needs, work out your needs and what you'll be running and discuss with them. They will point you in the right direction hopefully.

If your in Vic the guys at Piranha are pretty good.

nissannewby
13th April 2012, 01:20 PM
You will need a normal battery to run the winch as the current they can draw is quite large and is no good for a deep cycle unit. A high quality battery will run what you have stated plus the winch. Obvioulsy if your going to run aux item such as fridge and work lights a dual battery setup would be the go with a decent main and deep cycle battery. Your biggest concern will be weather the alternator will able to keep up. I would go a nice dual battery setup with a higher output alternator.

GeeCee
13th April 2012, 07:02 PM
I currently run dual Supercharge All Rounders http://www.supercharge.com.au/products_special_allrounder.php
They are dual purpose starting / deep cycle and have been going well so far, one is probably 3 to 4 years old, the other 1 to 2.

megatexture
13th April 2012, 08:36 PM
Check out all purpose batteries : http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au/index.php?cPath=22&&page=1
i would be looking at getting a dual batt setup with something like a ctek dc/dc charger or redarc one. The ctek runs at 20amp and redarc runs like 40 amp. I’m planning on gettin the ctek as i think 40a is a lil over kill for my needs but if you do go 3 batts it may be worthwhile.
You can look at a marine batt for the aux batt also so it can double as winch/starter if necessary

Airstrike
17th April 2012, 09:52 PM
i have a 120Amp alternator and am looking to get a new battery as my current is dead. Should I match the Ah with the amps? and is 760CCA good enough for the 1 battery? I have a TB42e

megatexture
17th April 2012, 10:05 PM
what’s your dead batteries cca 760? If so just aim to get one equal or higher I’ve got a zd30 and the alternator is only like 90-95 can’t remember exactly but 120amp is great wish mine was, try get a maintenance free also so u don’t have to worry about leaking acid on whacky angles when 4wheeling and no topping up cells.
the ah only help when running accessories if its your starter you need cca to crank it up and more the merrier

call all purpose batts they helped me over the phone it was good service took 5 days to get the batt i ordered not the 3 they had said but i think there was a public holiday in there somewhere.

Airstrike
17th April 2012, 10:15 PM
what’s your dead batteries cca 760? If so just aim to get one equal or higher I’ve got a zd30 and the alternator is only like 90-95 can’t remember exactly but 120amp is great wish mine was, try get a maintenance free also so u don’t have to worry about leaking acid on whacky angles when 4wheeling and no topping up cells.
the ah only help when running accessories if its your starter you need cca to crank it up and more the merrier

call all purpose batts they helped me over the phone it was good service took 5 days to get the batt i ordered not the 3 they had said but i think there was a public holiday in there somewhere.

Cheers, yeah The 90amp for the old GQ is just crap so upgraded. the current battery is 660CCA and 90AH

megatexture
17th April 2012, 11:58 PM
the battery i got like 2 months ago was 790cca calcium-calcium seald batt for 170-180 and 30$ delivery if i rember correctly. just depends if u say its dead now u prob cant wait the delivery time.

BearGUST
18th April 2012, 10:01 PM
I got an AC Delco all rounder, it was 96 amp hour and 700 odd CCA. Great price too - about $150 from memory.
I'm waiting for my other battery to kick the bucket and I'll replace it with another AC Delco.