PDA

View Full Version : Auto Locking Hubs - Is there an indicator to show that have been 'freed' up

bartoni79
12th April 2012, 12:31 PM
Hi,

Had a quick question regarding locking nuts. I have a 92 GQ manual gearbox with Auto Locking nuts. When Ive finished with 4WD, I reverse a meter or so to free up the locking nuts. How do I know if this has been successful?

Cheers

wildgu6
12th April 2012, 12:40 PM
Not 100% on the Q but the U has an 4x4 indicator light on the dash that tells you if in 4 wheel drive,

nissannewby
12th April 2012, 01:41 PM
Steering will be slightly better. Or just get on some loose stuff and spin the wheels if the fronts spin she still locked.

bartoni79
12th April 2012, 01:43 PM
Hi,

Yep checked the light but is it possible that I can drive in 2WD without the auto hubs 'freeing' up?

Cheers

the evil twin
12th April 2012, 01:49 PM
Nah mate, no indicator but if you listen carefully when you reverse you will here a distinctive "click" as they unlock and... Yes... it is possible to be in 2WD without the hubs 'freeing up'.

If you are going 'wheeling for the day you should "lock" the Auto hubs anyway. The "Auto" setting isn't meant for extended operation.

xtreme patrol
12th April 2012, 01:52 PM
While reversing you can hear a distinct click from each hub

^^^^Eviltwin just beat me lol^^^^

bartoni79
12th April 2012, 03:14 PM
Hmm maybe mine arent unlocked, heard a distintive groan / resistance when i turned the a shart corner the other day...

sooty_10
10th May 2012, 05:10 PM
Nah mate, no indicator but if you listen carefully when you reverse you will here a distinctive "click" as they unlock and... Yes... it is possible to be in 2WD without the hubs 'freeing up'.

If you are going 'wheeling for the day you should "lock" the Auto hubs anyway. The "Auto" setting isn't meant for extended operation.

Good to know, I just got a patrol with auto hubs and wasn't sure of this myself :) I am looking at changing over to manual locking hubs as I have some that I can get my hands on. Are there any major benefits between the two options??