PDA

View Full Version : New engine fan

pjwooly
12th April 2012, 12:14 PM
Gday guys ,

I have replaced the engine fan on my TD4.2 cos the old one was all cracked between the blades.
The new one seems to me to be very noisy.

Looking at the pic,do you think it is the right way round?
It is an aftermarket one from an ebay store.I had trouble being able to tell which way it should sit.

You can see by the pics that it has a leading edge to the blades (asit is fitted at the mo) which pushes into the air.

I'm now thinking that this shud be the other way round,that they shud be the trailing edge.

Also the fan does'nt sit well inside the shroud as i think it shud.

Another thing...when i replaced the fan i also did the belts.Now the belts had a "tooth" type design on the back of them instead of the standard flat type.

Will this make any difference to the noise level of how the engine sounds?

You thorts on these issues appreciated.

Pjwooly:trink13:

nissannewby
12th April 2012, 02:36 PM
Looks to be the right way round. Does the new fan have less blades than the old one? And with the belts there wont be any difference to the noice the tooth design just helps the belt go around a radius better :)

MudRunnerTD
12th April 2012, 02:56 PM
hey mate it is a Viscous fan so should only be spinning beyond engine when the motor temp gets high. You should then hear the roar of it engaging to cool things down. Did you just replace the plastic fan or the whole viscous assembly?

By the way, Your Radiator is in desperate need of a flush mate, You should pull it out and wash the body of the fins out, it will be doing you no favours and will be contributing to a hot motor. Being full of mud like that will also encourage rust and full of mud restricts airflow and efficiency.

pjwooly
12th April 2012, 03:07 PM
To be honest i dont know about the viscous thing.
Only replaced the fan and not the centre bit.
I'm not sure if the fan has the same amount of blades,but the original fan had straight blades compared to these ones.
The radiator isn't full of mud by the way....but thanks for your concern.
Have never had a heating problem actually.
Only replaced the fan cos it looked like it may disintergrate anytime soon.

pjwooly
12th April 2012, 03:17 PM
here is the fan that i fitted

MQ MAD
13th April 2012, 03:02 PM
Dont worry about the fan blades havin tails, wont hurt and should be better
By roar of the fan , it should when cold till the oil in the clutch hub heats up,or when its needed
It will roar louder than straight blades due to the design
Im sure due to the bolt plates in the actuall fan , off centre, (look at the pic above)that the fan only goes on 1 way