PDA

View Full Version : wondering about engineering my gq

strizman
22nd September 2010, 07:41 PM
the car has 35in wheels 2 in body lift and 4 in lift in the suspension just wondering if anyone know about getting it engineered in Sydney
:1087:

MADM4N
7th October 2010, 10:50 PM
mate you'll be pushing to find an engineer who'll do 35" tyres let alone a body lift... Both are deemed illegal in most states... You are allowed 50mm total lift in NSW before engineers will need to approve and only allowed 1 inch (25mm) taller and 1 inch wider on wheels from factory spec... Give it a go but many have tried and failed searching for the same

Bigrig
7th October 2010, 11:13 PM
Agreed - suss out the local modifications guides for NSW - I have them for QLD, and even though they are 'vague' at times, the DOT uses that against you (i.e. if the guide isn't specific, then you can't do it!! - not the nicest individuals on the road ...). An example below relating to tyres .. resason for this example is that it basically says you can alter the tyres on a foubie by 1.5 times the original equipment specification - working on a standard 265/75, you are looking at whacking a 397.5mm wide tyre on your car before it's deemed illegal - problem is, you can't exceed the outside rolling diameter by more than 15mm, so you'd end up with a very wide tyre with with no height benefits (wouldn't that look the goods too!!!). Body lifts are apparently completely out now and there is some level of rumour that if they introduce fines, it will be retrospective, forcing people to remove the lift ... pretty complex hey? Aren't there rapists and burglars and drug dealers, etc etc out there that the boys in blue should be concentrating on more than the height of a passing 4wd??

Anyway - extract below from the QLD guide - NSW will have the same thing available I'm sure - good luck with it mate.

Tyres
The maximum tyre width for a car or car derivative must
not be more than 1.3 times the vehicle manufacturer’s
widest optional tyre.
However, for an off-road passenger vehicle fitted with
front and rear beam axles, the maximum tyre width
must not be more than 1.5 times the vehicle
manufacturer’s widest optional tyre.
The nominal width of the narrowest tyre fitted to a
vehicle must not be less than 70 per cent of the nominal
width of the largest tyre fitted and never less than the
vehicle manufacturer’s narrowest optional tyre as
indicated on the manufacturer’s tyre placard.
The rim diameter may be varied from the standard size
but the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by
more than +15mm or -26mm.
These limits have been set for a number of reasons.
Varying the overall diameter of tyres affects ground
clearance, centre of gravity, brake effectiveness, steering
geometry, performance and speedometer accuracy.