PDA

View Full Version : SD33 with 5 speed gear box in a GQ model

ipatrol26
11th April 2012, 10:45 PM
Hello everyone and I am very sorry about asking this question over and over again but I would like as many advises, tips, opinions, etc as possible.

I have a SD33 none turbo with its original 5 speed gear box in a 1992 GQ and what I am having doubts on is, if WILL IT BE POWER ENOUGHT TO MOVE IT just as a regular driving, nothing out of the ordinary........ well maybe a few trips to the beach and stuff but nothing serious and no heavy off road either just the regular driving and WILL IT HIT AT LEAST 100KHM ON THE HIGHWAY ????????

Before anybody talks about getting the original TD42 on it or at least the SD33 turbo or the work that it would take to get the engine and tranny in there...... well everything its in already engine and tranny its just that I haven't done the road test because there are a few things to do before I take down the road. At least for right now I don't the funds to buy the original TD42 so is IMPOSSIBLE RIGHT NOW so I am stuck with this conversion at least until one day I can get everything back to normal so please don't even mention it.

Thanks

ipatrol26
11th April 2012, 10:47 PM
I am all ears guys.....

the ferret
11th April 2012, 10:53 PM
Mate, it will just drive like an MQ with SD33 and 5 speed, it wont have a ton of guts, but it will get you where ever you need to go.
'When my rd2.8 dies in the GU, I will be fitting an SD33t.
It's good you have the 5 speed tho.
The GQ is about the same weight as an MQ/MK, so carry on with it, the only issue I can see is the offset transfer box to the centre mounted diff on the GQ
It has been done before.. with the 5 speed, you will have no trouble doing 100k/hr
Cheers, the ferret.

ipatrol26
12th April 2012, 01:33 AM
Sweet mate, thanks very much that sounds a lot better to hear it from someone else, now in regards to the offset rear diff it might be a issue but not quite. I've seen it done before......well not on Patrol's and in fact threre is another Patrol's forum where a guy from the USA has a short MQ with center pumpkin rear diff (Portal-Tek G3s) and original transmission and it seems to work just fine. I know what you mean and I thought the same but when everything was put in place the rear drive shaft doesn't look bad at all, its not that missaligned with the transmission output and besides I will be putting a double cardan joint on both ends to cancel out any vibrations that might create. Now later on I might be able to swap that transmission with the GQ originals.

Thanks mate.

GU4.2
12th April 2012, 02:25 AM
Where there is a will there is a way. If you can make it work with what you have then good on you. I remember following holden commodores around in new zealand with plumes of diesel coming from the back of them. They had done engine conversions in them mainly using nissan diesels. So anything can be done. Good Luck

ipatrol26
12th April 2012, 05:42 AM
Thanks mate, I'll post some pics of the progress and when is done.

MQ MAD
13th April 2012, 03:10 PM
No probs with the SD33 n/a moving the GQ, im sure the GQs are a touch lighter ???
My old MQ wagon weight near 3 tonne, and with a 2.5T trailer on the back it sat on most speed limits, struggled a bit on steep hills, but got there
Another issue to consider is the GQs diff ratios

But if you have the SD33 n/a 5 speed youll have the short 1st gear (different to the SD33T gearbox) so that shouldnt worry whatever ratio you have
All good, no rocket ship but itll do fine