PDA

View Full Version : Replacing fuel filter

jimmyz
11th April 2012, 05:02 PM
Hi All
New to the site and computers so please baer with me.
Looking at replacing the fuel filter on my 3.0L this weekend with nissan filter.
Never replaced a diesel filter before. Can anybody give me any tips.
I know i have to prime the filter after replacing but not sure if there is a bleader vaule.
Also should i pre fill the new filter first before fitting ?
Any help would be greatly recived.

Thanks in advance

jimmyz
14th April 2012, 06:05 PM
Had a go myself today. It was much eaiser than i thought
The first thing i did was take the outlet pipe of and fit a short peice of hose to the filter body and pumped about 500ml into a clean container to use later to fill the new filter.
I unbolted the the bracket that holds the filter and disconected the wire from the bottom of the filter (water sensor i think)
Unscrewed the filter from the bracket an removed (unscrewed) the bottom screw in nut that the water sensor wire is conected to.
Reinstalled the bottom screw in nut (put some oil on the rubber gasget first to prevent the gasget from from sticking an not sealing properly) into the new filter
Fill the the new filter with the fuel i pumped out and installed the top screw in hand pump (oiled the rubber gasget)
Loctighted the bracket/filter back into enginbay .
Primbed the pump till hard and started her up.
She ran for a couple of seconds then started to idel rough. Stoped her primed the pump again till hard and restarted.

Hope this makes sense for any one else that is wanting to do there own replacement.

nickpeacock36
14th April 2012, 06:34 PM
Nice one Jimmy. Did the same job for the 1st time myself recently. Not too scarey really.