PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack light bar 12vdc plug location

HuskyInAuz
10th April 2012, 11:58 PM
Putting 4 27 watt 12vdc LED flood lights on. I'm thinking of getting a bar that will mount on the RHINO Pioneer Alloy Platform. New rocker switch is installed in dash, leads run to the rear. Since I'm still applying soundproofing to rear cargo/wheel wells the side panels are all off. If this was a boat I have a number of 'thru-hull' water tight SS connectors with disconnects. I was thinking of putting one of them under the left rear gutter so that I could remove the light bar when not camping or backing up the boat in the wee hours of the morning.
Any suggestion on getting 12vdc up outside?

MudRunnerTD
11th April 2012, 01:08 AM
i have an Anderson plug just inside the door on the B pillar and run the cables out the top of the door seal so the rear passenger door opens and closes on the cables. Heavy duty and never been a problem. It does not leak or whistle. I have an Anderson plug on my Light Bar and all is good. No Drilling is required.

HuskyInAuz
11th April 2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for that. Had a lot of green water over the boats with this plug and not had them leak. Just trying to sort out where the least amount of water might enter. No decision yet.

gregs
11th April 2012, 09:26 PM
HuskyInAuz,

Rhinorack do a light bracket that bolts to your platform that will hold a light. You will have to buy 4 though. www.rhinorack.com.au

I have nothing to do with the company but I do have one of their alloy baskets and it hasn't let me down yet.

And if you do decide to use the stainless steel (is that the 2 pin one) connector just make sure when you drill your hole, paint the bare metal so rust will not start. I reckon they would be a good idea if they are fully waterproof.

Greg

megatexture
12th April 2012, 08:48 PM
I run mine up the snorkel from the corner of the bonnet with a Anderson plug fitted to the side of the snorkel its nice and discrete and easily unplugged when rack is removed.

HuskyInAuz
13th April 2012, 12:02 AM
Gregs,
Yes, the base is nickel plated brass with a two pin rubber hooded mail connector. BlueSeas also makes a nylon thru-hull fitting which is also excellent at keeping water out, problem with the BlueSea is it's more for permanent fittings (radar,gps, VHF).
Scott

gregs
13th April 2012, 03:43 PM
HuskyInAuz, if you don't want a permanent solution then the one by megatexture is probably your best bet as you won't have to drill holes in the bodywork. I would like to put a couple of these lights up on our basket as well and it would be good if you could put up some pics when you have wired them up so we can see how you went about it.

Cheers

Greg

megatexture
13th April 2012, 08:38 PM
i can get better pics for you if u like

HuskyInAuz
13th April 2012, 08:51 PM
Mega,
Thanks for the offer, probably would help a bit. My light bar is going to be for reversing but I could certainly run the power cable down the side of the roof rack, I'm only doing short trips with the Patrol right now anyway. (Meaning the cable wouldn't be flopping around for very long in the wind).
Scott

HuskyInAuz
13th April 2012, 10:04 PM
Okay, the first picture is of the 'marine' plug discussed earlier, I have a number of spares of this type.
Second.. is this an 'Anderson Plug'? I thought it was for the brake controller ... :icon_bonk:
Third is of the rear of the Rhino Rack where either a light bar will be put or the lights will be drilled and mounted on the rack itself.

Scott

gregs
13th April 2012, 10:24 PM
yep thats an anderson plug and going by the size of it, it is a 50amp one, probably for sending power to a camper trailer or to a boat winch.

megatexture
13th April 2012, 10:33 PM
yea 2nd pic looks like a 50amp anderson plug thats what ive mounted on the inside of the snorkel. running the wire to the back would be the only problem u would have, the only other solution i can think of is a work light mounted behind the spare wheel (telescopic/ swivel) it just depends what your after but on the barn door would be easier to get power to also

ill post some pics tomorrow of the plug area on the snorkel

megatexture
15th April 2012, 12:24 AM
here is a pic.. I’ve run four 6mm twin wires up here for each spotlight and all are linked using the Anderson plug then split off again mainly for the fact i could get them under the front grill between the engine bay and windscreen then from there i have run it all in split tube. screwed the Anderson plug to the snorkel so when you’re not using the roof rack the plugs there out of the way i think it looks prity tidy and only hole/screw is on the anderson plug. hope it helps

the copper cylinder on the snorkel is a camera and is unrelated to the roofrack/lights

gregs
15th April 2012, 08:14 AM
megatexture, mate nice job of hiding the wires, if you didn't know what to look for then you would miss it and painting the anderson plugs matt black (well I think thats what you did) was a brilliant idea...hope you don't mind if I borrow the idea if I decide to put lights on my rack.

Cheers

Greg

megatexture
15th April 2012, 11:14 AM
yea i painted the anderson plug, i try not to have modifications stand out like dogs ball when ever i do them. by all means use this idea:smiley_thumbs_up:

Waza
2nd December 2012, 08:57 PM
Plentry of good ideas here thanks !

sil3nt_dr3ams
30th July 2013, 09:09 AM
Hey might have miss read the thread in bit of hurry.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Kit-2-Pin-Way-Waterproof-Electrical-Wire-Connector-Plug-/140926984936

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2013, 09:18 AM
Hey might have miss read the thread in bit of hurry.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Kit-2-Pin-Way-Waterproof-Electrical-Wire-Connector-Plug-/140926984936

Awesome, I just bought 3 sets of those cheers.Cheap!!

The OP was trying to figure out ow to get the wire there rather than the connector but they will be handy all the same .

BigRAWesty
30th July 2013, 10:06 AM
I have bought the bigger 5 pin style for when I 're-wire the rear and tail lights..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

sil3nt_dr3ams
30th July 2013, 11:18 AM
Awesome, I just bought 3 sets of those cheers.Cheap!!

The OP was trying to figure out ow to get the wire there rather than the connector but they will be handy all the same .

Mate gave me a couple of bags of them to try same cheap ones and yeah mate they seem pretty good.

menace 2
30th July 2013, 12:05 PM
I will be doing similar to Mega...but after looking at a work mates defender I will be running the wires actually inside the snorkel...the split tubing came out of the snorkel level with the water gutter so you only seen about an inch and a half of it ...but you have to drill a hole in the back of the snorkel ..he had sealed it around the split tubing and at the bottom in the engine bay...the tubing was held in the rain gutter with silicon until it reached the first roof rack bracket ..the disconnect plug was behind the front of the roof rack and I will be also running a dummy extra plug to there (sealed)..for any future lights up top....I am now going to steal your idea of the camera Mega after seeing your post...I am going to put it inside behind the grill of the snorkel head so nothing is seen at all...just have to work out what to do if I need to add a further cover to the head for extreme dust or if I have to turn the head around at any time... maybe just mount one lower than the head and seal it so only the lense is seen...

megatexture
30th July 2013, 08:49 PM
funny you mention this ive run the camera cords inside the snorkel also lol