PDA

View Full Version : UHF CB Radio aerial wiring

Leighw85
8th April 2012, 10:26 PM
Hi all
when i got my Patrol it had a GME Electrophone UHF in it with the mounting bracket at the front for a aerial. There is a base where the aerial screws on. BUT the wire is loose, not connected to anything. Can i buy an aerial that will screw onto the base and just connect the already ran wire to the new wire on the new aerial?
I hope i have explained this ok hahaha

cheers

timbar
8th April 2012, 10:35 PM
Hi all
when i got my Patrol it had a GME Electrophone UHF in it with the mounting bracket at the front for a aerial. There is a base where the aerial screws on. BUT the wire is loose, not connected to anything. Can i buy an aerial that will screw onto the base and just connect the already ran wire to the new wire on the new aerial?
I hope i have explained this ok hahaha

cheers
you can reconnect the coaxal wire to the base. ...or you can buy a whole new base and arial already connected and just bolt it on and rerun the wire through the easiest way is to conect the new one to the old one by installation tape and pull it through the firewall under the dash

tappa crappin

Leighw85
8th April 2012, 10:39 PM
To put it easier lol
can i join the Coax cable that runs from my UHF to the new aerial at the front of the 4x4?
As the head unit is in the centre roof storage compartment i would have to run the cable a fair way to replace the whole thing.
If i can join it at the front where the bare wire is that would be great :)

hope i put it better this time

Leighw85
8th April 2012, 10:42 PM
thanks mate.
Im really trying to avoid running the wire to the head unit if i can.
I would have to run it up the door trims and into the roof as the Head unit is up on the roof.

timbar
8th April 2012, 10:43 PM
To put it easier lol
can i join the Coax cable that runs from my UHF to the new aerial at the front of the 4x4?
As the head unit is in the centre roof storage compartment i would have to run the cable a fair way to replace the whole thing.
If i can join it at the front where the bare wire is that would be great :)

hope i put it better this time

Yeah just resolder it to the base should fix it mate 5min job

tappa crappin

Leighw85
8th April 2012, 10:45 PM
ok sweet
yeah i just have a spring base at the front with no aerial.
So just solder it to that base and screw on a new antenna?

timbar
8th April 2012, 10:50 PM
ok sweet
yeah i just have a spring base at the front with no aerial.
So just solder it to that base and screw on a new antenna?

Might need to put a pic up of the type of base so we can see what we are looking at if its the type i thinking of the base may need to be pulled apart and then soldered

tappa crappin

timbar
8th April 2012, 10:52 PM
Where in perth are u?

tappa crappin

Clunk
8th April 2012, 10:57 PM
Gday Leigh, I think most new antennas come with the coax already fitted as I think the base are mostly sealed units (could be wrong). Best was to do it would be to run the new cable to you uhf but you could attach a connector to your old cable and attach both cables together via the connector........ now I m no expert so not sure what having a longer run of coax would do to the reception, whether it would make it worse but i do know the more connections you have the worse the quality of reception becomes.

Leighw85
8th April 2012, 10:59 PM
here is what i have mate
the wire is loose under all this

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8982/imageinz.jpg
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/585/imagetdk.jpg

cheers

timbar
8th April 2012, 11:01 PM
Gday Leigh, I think most new antennas come with the coax already fitted as I think the base are mostly sealed units (could be wrong). Best was to do it would be to run the new cable to you uhf but you could attach a connector to your old cable and attach both cables together via the connector........ now I m no expert so not sure what having a longer run of coax would do to the reception, whether it would make it worse but i do know the more connections you have the worse the quality of reception becomes.

Will be no more conections adrian other than th base and plug to the head unit

tappa crappin

Leighw85
8th April 2012, 11:02 PM
Hey Clunk
Yeah mate i really have no idea what i can do. This is sort of the last thing i have to sort out. So trying to find the easiest way without losing quality thats for sure.

Im in Seville Grove mate :)

timbar
8th April 2012, 11:05 PM
here is what i have mate
the wire is loose under all this

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

cheers

Yeah that base comes apart and the coaxal wire can be soldered to the brass screw conection for the arial easy job as long as the coaxal wire is long enough

tappa crappin

Clunk
8th April 2012, 11:11 PM
Will be no more conections adrian other than th base and plug to the head unit

tappa crappin
There ll be a connection if you connect the old a new cables together........ that's if Leigh decides to go fo a new base and antenna. But your right, if the existing cable is long enough he can strip the old base a resolder the cable to it, the just buy a new whip

Leighw85
8th April 2012, 11:13 PM
awesome. ill pull it apart and have a look tomorrow and let you know how i go.
Thanks mate

timbar
8th April 2012, 11:15 PM
There ll be a connection if you connect the old a new cables together........ that's if Leigh decides to go fo a new base and antenna. But your right, if the existing cable is long enough he can strip the old base a resolder the cable to it, the just buy a new whip

Reread the post........i put up. .....i was simply showing an easier way to re run a NEW CABLE through the firewall then u disconect and throw away the old one.........

tappa crappin

Clunk
8th April 2012, 11:20 PM
Reread the post........i put up. .....i was simply showing an easier way to re run a NEW CABLE through the firewall then u disconect and throw away the old one......... tappa crappin

Yeah saw that but he didn't want to have to rerun the cable to the head unit in his ov erhead consol, so I was thinking just connect new an old cables together in the engine bay

timbar
8th April 2012, 11:27 PM
Yeah saw that but he didn't want to have to rerun the cable to the head unit in his ov erhead consol, so I was thinking just connect new an old cables together in the engine bay

Cant be done the reception breakdown would cause internal damage to the head unit the same as a uhf radio should never be used without an arial for the same reason

tappa crappin

timbar
8th April 2012, 11:30 PM
awesome. ill pull it apart and have a look tomorrow and let you know how i go.
Thanks mate

Be sure when u pull it apart there is a small insulator near the tip of the base be sure it goes back in or u will damage the uhf radio if u need any help please pm me and i can help u out

tappa crappin

Leighw85
9th April 2012, 11:39 AM
PM sent mate :)

MB
6th January 2020, 06:47 PM
G’day NP.com.au Team,
A little help needed pretty please if available as I’m a wee bit stuck and definitely out of my nuffy league here.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/01/62.jpg
Trying to get decent onboard communications here on Mrs MB’s wagon and found the UHF and already routed aerial line are different connections.
One is screw type and other bayonet type, is it possible to just buy a Jaycar type adapter hopefully?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
6th January 2020, 06:50 PM
You can buy an adapter at Jaycar, no problems

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BNC-Male-to-SO239-Female-PL259-Socket-Converter-Adapter-CB-Radio-Uniden-Scanner/121696743225?epid=1191597488&hash=item1c55b0ef39:g:zSMAAOSwMmBVmezG:sc:AU_Stand ardDelivery!3180!AU!-1

Jaycar will have this for sure

MB
6th January 2020, 07:13 PM
Legend Thank You Philstar!

MB
7th January 2020, 09:55 PM
All sorted, thanks again heaps mate, Jaycar $3.95 [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/01/82.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/01/83.jpg
Will post also in other kind thread for others.