PDA

View Full Version : Inverter and dual battery

groundsplash
8th April 2012, 07:46 PM
Hi Guys, I have a dual battery set-up and now looking to install an inverter to give me power on the move, does anyone know if this will let me run the engine as a generator if I leave the engine running? any help on this would appreciated

the evil twin
8th April 2012, 08:40 PM
Well, the short answer is Yes. It will be the most inefficient generator on the planet tho.

How much AC power do you want?

groundsplash
8th April 2012, 10:21 PM
enough to run some power tools and an air crompessor

mick.
8th April 2012, 11:14 PM
The cost of an invertor to run them sort of things you could buy 2 generators and have one as a spare. It's possible but not practical.

Cheers Mick.

the evil twin
9th April 2012, 12:16 AM
enough to run some power tools and an air crompessor

Ouch, that is a lot of power for a 12 Volt Inverter on a vehicle battery. You will probably be much better off buying a small 240V generator.

12 Volt Inverters are inefficient so to run say, a single 750 Watt 13mm Drill, you will want 1,000 Watts at least which means a feed capable of at least 150 Amps for startup and full load. Manuf specs will say 120 Amps but that is too low IMHO.

You will find the inverter manuf will also be talking a couple of hundred Amp Hours battery capacity.

Reading between the lines I would assume you are talking extended use and using the power tools and compressor at the same time? If so you will want something twice that size.

groundsplash
9th April 2012, 09:46 PM
thanks guys