PDA

View Full Version : diy ideas

41ook_patrol
8th April 2012, 04:08 PM
hey guys im new to the 4wd sence i have had a gq 4.2s swb have had to recently sell that and buy a gq lwb due to growing family. it is also a 4.2s. just wondering what i could do to it diy wise inside and out aswell as engine. it has 320.000k's on it but have had no probs yet.

cheers

Richo460
10th April 2012, 04:18 AM
petrol or diesel? what sort of things do you want to achieve? install accessories or performance mods?

Maxhead
10th April 2012, 06:46 AM
It would be a TB42S carby model I guess. Also how handy are you with mechanical stuff. There would no limits what you could achieve with the right set of hands, bit unlike me...LOLL

As said above, what are you trying to achieve?.

some ideas.
Dual battery kit wired to the back for fridge
Spotties
Entertainment unit for the kids..lol
suspension upgrade
probably new seats at GQ's comfort is like riding a bull .
sliders
Drawers in the back if you don't need the 3rd row seat
if you can tweak up the engine

ripper
10th April 2012, 07:31 PM
probably new seats at GQ's comfort is like riding a bull

Interesting that you say that.
After my father did a trip in a friend's GU recently (and it's only done about 55,000 Km's), he commented on how much better the ride in our GQ is, and it's done almost 250,000. Our seats look original, and I think the springs are too, as it sits just a bit lower than the factory specs for height.
Maybe it was just that the GU tyres were pumped up too much for how much load they had, but dad said it was an uncomfortable trip.

Maxhead
11th April 2012, 05:46 AM
Interesting that you say that.
After my father did a trip in a friend's GU recently (and it's only done about 55,000 Km's), he commented on how much better the ride in our GQ is, and it's done almost 250,000. Our seats look original, and I think the springs are too, as it sits just a bit lower than the factory specs for height.
Maybe it was just that the GU tyres were pumped up too much for how much load they had, but dad said it was an uncomfortable trip.

Yeah the GU had the suspension removed...LOLOLOLO. just kidding. It's just what you hear daily and the amount of posts on here on how to change to GU or other seats.
Also ask AB how his arse was after he arrived at loveday last week.....LOLOLOL

ripper
11th April 2012, 06:48 AM
It's just what you hear daily and the amount of posts on here on how to change to GU or other seats.

I've seen that too, so I dunno what the deal is. I do wonder if some guys put in heavy duty springs, but don't increase their load enough to compensate for how much harder they are.
If I find towing our van makes ours sag at the back, I think I'll put in air bags rather than heavier springs.

So that raises another question for you 41ook_patrol (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10311-diy-ideas&p=209632&viewfull=1#post209632), if you upgrade the suspension, what's the best way to do it?

Maxhead
11th April 2012, 08:02 AM
So that raises another question for you 41ook_patrol (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10311-diy-ideas&p=209632&viewfull=1#post209632), if you upgrade the suspension, what's the best way to do it?

Yeah good point.

You need to know what you will be carrying and think about upgrades later on when you go new suspension.

Lot of people just whack new suspension in then add bits and pieces after and wonder why it handles like shti. LOL

I went with heavy duty (I think 400kg constant load) in the back and mid duty front. Perfect combo for steel bar,winch and side bar in the front. At the rear I have rear draw which is around 150kgs then fridge, tools and recovery gear. Then I tow around 2600kg plus a lot as well.

41ook_patrol
17th April 2012, 02:01 PM
hey guys thanks for all the comments.
yer its a tb4.2 carby. i was thinking a 3inch lift 33's. and then a bit of performance work it has 320,000k's on it but still goin strong. as we all know lol. draws are handy yes but i need the 7 seat. it has spotties bull bar and side steps.
i just want it for a family/weekender lol as i have future plans on buying a td4.2 and making it a weekend warrior so the wifey still has the family car lol. so i wanna do a bit just not to much if that make sence lol.
thanks ppl

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2012, 02:03 PM
Remember the suspension you choose will swap over to a TD42 in a GQ or a GU no problem. Lots of stuff will mate ;)

41ook_patrol
17th April 2012, 02:04 PM
oh yer and also i forgot to add i am a little bit handy lol have some know how and a bit mechanical minded