PDA

View Full Version : Pushing a 2.8 GU in gear

Dirrin
21st September 2010, 09:13 PM
Ok so i was leaning in the back of my Patrol the other day and it moved forward, It was parked in 2nd gear and the hand brake was up but obviously not enough. I then parked it out in the street and put it in 2nd gear and i could quite easily move it forward. I called my mechanic the other day and he said this was quite normal for a 2.8 or 3L patrol, so my question is True or False ?

AB
21st September 2010, 09:25 PM
Someone here would be able to go into more detail but the simple answer would be true.

It depends on the steepness of the hill and compression so being a 2.8 or 3l they have a lower compression than a 4.2 diesel or a 350 chev for example.

Are you talking about a petrol or diesel engine?

Dirrin
21st September 2010, 09:41 PM
2.8 diesel motor, i would of thought that the compression in any diesel (even one as small as a 2.8) would be enough that on flat ground you wouldn't be able to move it

AB
21st September 2010, 10:13 PM
If It's on flat ground and a diesel I don't think you should do that either.

Petrol and on a hill is a different story.

Leave this thread for a bit and see what other members have to say mate.

YNOT
21st September 2010, 11:00 PM
Petrols generally (and this is a very general rule) will run between 8.5:1 and 11:1 compression. Diesels typically run between 17:1 and 22:1. In both petrols and diesels, compression will usually be lower on turbo varients, ie; engines like the TD42 that came out as both naturally aspirated and turbo charged in different models, the turbo varient will have lower compression than the N/A motor.
As for your car, it depends how easy it was to push? Could you feel surging as it came up on compression? If you only pushed it slowly it would have given the compression time to leak past the rings.
If it starts easily and runs OK making good power, without blowing excessive smoke, then I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, adjust your handbrake or use a little more muscle.

Tony

RustyNails
22nd September 2010, 03:00 PM
Never tried it to tell you the truth but would be surprised if I could push it in any gear, they are hard enough to push in neutral.

ozkan889
5th October 2010, 01:04 PM
Never tried it to tell you the truth but would be surprised if I could push it in any gear, they are hard enough to push in neutral.

Ive pushed mine up a hill on my own, MY GOD did i nearly rip my bowl open.