PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues GQ

luvpsi
7th April 2012, 03:03 PM
hey guys im having problems with my GQ td42 when you turn the key it clicks like a flat battery and after a while of turning it on and off it will start however now it just keeps ticking i have checked terminals etc but it just wont start could my battery be dead

the ferret
7th April 2012, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a solenoid failure if you have tried another battery or jumpstart,the starter motor may need a service!!
Check the earth lead from the battery to the engine block.
Cheers, the ferret.

luvpsi
7th April 2012, 03:45 PM
ok i think i have found the problem it seems to be the solonoid as i hit it with a hammer and she started

Clunk
7th April 2012, 04:03 PM
Ah the good ol' if in doubt give it a clout trick....... like your style mate lol

luvpsi
7th April 2012, 04:05 PM
haha well it worked now just need to work out how to rebuild it

the ferret
7th April 2012, 04:55 PM
It'll be the contacts inside the solenoid, they just may need a clean up,
Cheers, the ferret.

Yendor
7th April 2012, 05:21 PM
It could also be the brushes inside the starter motor are getting low or are stuck with mud.

I would strip down the whole starter motor and inspect it while it is off the vehicle.

You could also be getting a voltage drop in the start circuit caused by old wiring and a worn ignition switch. Fitting a relay to the start circuit will help overcome this.

To test this, connect the positive lead of your voltmeter to the smaller wire that goes to the starter motor (connect the other end of voltmeter to an earth) try starting vehicle a few times and record voltage reading.

This reading should be equal to your battery voltage during cranking, if not a relay will help.

luvpsi
7th April 2012, 06:14 PM
ok will do but when giving the starter a tap it works so id say solenoid

Kiwi Mal
12th April 2012, 05:29 PM
I had the same problem on mine. Turned out to be the ignition barrel had worn and the key was over turning so the contacts made and broke the circuit just long enough to make the solenoid click.
Now I just dont turn the key as hard and no more problems.

Yendor
12th April 2012, 05:39 PM
Fitting a relay to your starter motor will help overcome worn contacts in your ignition switch and voltage drop due to old or corroded wiring.