PDA

View Full Version : SD33 N/A Help Needed

jon.wheeler
7th April 2012, 07:41 AM
Hi.

Im in need of some help from someone in the know with these engines. I have one fitted to my Landie and having problems getting it going. It was running fine until i got the fuel contaminated with water and ran it by acciddent. I have drained the tank, changed the filter and cleaned the lines. I have an electric pump on the system.
I have partially primed the pump, and if i remove the power adjustment screw, clean fuel gushes out, confirming its at that point. With all the injector pipes disconnected from the injectors and the engine turned on the starter, no fuel comes out of the pipes.
I have notivced on Google that there are different types of pump. One has the 6 outlet pipes in line on the top, mine has them on the side in a circle formation.
Can anyone give me ant ideas how to get the thing running again. Maybe explain where the bleed screws are if any.

Thanks.

Jon

the ferret
7th April 2012, 10:40 AM
Jon,
It sounds like you have the "VE" injector pump.
Loosen the bleed screw on filter, prime till fuel flows, close screw.
At the front of injector pump, where the fuel line connects to a tube with a banjo fitting, loosen the retaining bolt and prime all air out.
There should also be a screen inside the banjo, if this has water in it, it won't let fuel through.
Close screw and loosen number 1 at the injector and spin motor to start.
Once it starts, close injector number 1
Bear in mind that rotary pumps can't handle water as it is too thick, you may have damaged the pump and/or injectors.
If your pump is old and a bit worn, you may be lucky for now provided you were on the ball when you found water in the fuel.

PS, Jon, jump over to introductions and tell us a bit more about yourself and your rig mate, this is sort of protocol here.
Cheers, the ferret