PDA

View Full Version : my cheap assed draw set up. 98 GU st patrol wagon. cheap but works

oilburner98
6th April 2012, 01:30 PM
Hi all, thought these pix might help anyone looking to do their own draw set up.

Materials cost under $300. The most expensive bits were the SKF bearings. The recessed part at the back of each draw is to house two 98ah Gel-Tech deep cycles ( I know the one in the pic is an AGM), when the draw is closed they are tightly secured. I still haven't finished yet as I still have to install a Ctek charger and associated bits and pieces, I will post new pix when it is all shmicko. Also I haven't forked out the coin for draw handles or latches yet, they ain't cheap, so if anyone has any suggestions would be good.

I only used 1 X 15mm, 1 X 12mm and 1 X 9mm sheets of 8X4 ply, was able to do this with a little bit of thought and was left with very little waste. All tech screwed and glued. I have seen on forums mention of the problem of the "mountainous" floor in the back, just cut around the bits that stick up. I used a bit of 3mm MDF to make templates for fitting the top panels. All was done in the garage with a 3 year old trying to pinch my tools and a 6month old terrorising the misses who in turn terrorised me.

The fridge slide fits a 40lt engle, JUST fits.

I know it aint perfect but it works, was cheap and is my first attempt.

oilburner98
6th April 2012, 01:40 PM
any questions or suggestions welcome.
It was built basically in 6 steps:

1: sub frame/shell made/fitted
2: top panels fitted
3: draws made
4: draws fitted with runners
5: draw fronts made, carpeted and edged
6: top panels carpeted and edged

the sides still have to be covered in, will use something light. The charger will be mounted on the right hand side behind a switch and outlet panel.

oilburner98
6th April 2012, 04:33 PM
the back of the draws slopes back to follow the cargo barrier, so little wasted space and it holds down the batteries nice and tight, basically built it around the batteries

BlackOIL
7th April 2012, 12:59 AM
how long did it take you to knock this one together??

oilburner98
7th April 2012, 08:45 PM
well, it probably would have taken a week of after work garage time, a few hours of picking up bits and pieces and scratching my head,

but,

double that when you add time taken up by your 3yr old pinching your tools and "discussions" with the missus about "are you finished yet" and "can you just hold the baby for a second while I blah blah".

If I had the luxury of plenty of my own time then I would have done it a little neater, but I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

with the ally edges I cut a rebate with the router on the front and back edges of each panel/draw front, this way the ally is flush on the back and on the front it covers and holds the carpet edges, fiddly bits like this take time but are worth it in the end.

If you have curvey/bumpy/odd shaped bits and pieces that you have to fit the frame around, just take your time to make templates with cheap 3mm MDF 1st, it will help avoid any head aches making the end product fit. you can sand/trim/cut/join templates as much as you want and get them perfect before you cut up your expensive ply.

I have seen people cut the bottom out of the cargo barrier to give more room/allow deeper draws, but I couldn't justify cutting up a good strong cargo barrier and the extra space you might gain I thought was stuff all.

Alan GQpatrol
7th April 2012, 09:21 PM
is there ''stoppers'' to stop the drawers sliding all the way out or do you just have to be careful then opening them?

oilburner98
7th April 2012, 11:30 PM
nup, not yet, thats what the blue tape is for to tell my missus to stop pulling or it's going to end up on your toes. Would be easy to put some kind of stopper there, just haven't done it yet.

rockyd
23rd April 2012, 12:14 PM
Looks like a great setup. I'm just looking for ideas for my own setup, and I think I might pinch your idea if you don't mind..

mudski
4th May 2012, 07:18 PM
My hat goes off to you. Thats fantastic. I recently bought a GU and it had a drawer system in it made out of 12mm MDF! I took three blokes just to get it out of the car! That looks much lighter. Ever though to weight it in?

oilburner98
13th May 2012, 10:24 PM
cheers for dipping your hat. Weight and cost is what it is all about, I haven't bothered to weigh it but believe me it's as light, cheap and strong as I could get it using ply. The bits of materiel cut out is just used some where else thats how I managed to get away with 1x12mm, 1x9mm and 1x15mm. Stand by for more pix of the electricals.

oilburner98
13th May 2012, 11:29 PM
not fancy but works.:1087:

the clipper battery monitor was found on ebay but check out amazon UK 1st. The screen is a little big but it's a bloody good unit for the price (so far). The Engel is pulling 2.5A because I'd just turned it on freeze.

haven't fitted any lights yet but they will be LED strips, maybe KORR lighting for the quality and the water proof fittings.

the battery switch on the left is for choosing which battery to be charged, a cheap alternative. the anderson plug is for plugging my solar panels directly to the ctek dual (haven't tried it yet and not holding my breath for a miracle).

the two switches on the right are for selecting which battery is supply, again a cheap alternative.

I have used a + buzz and a - buzz. I found a good earth point to the body just behind this (if anyone thinks this is not right let me know, but seems to be ok for earth).

The ctek is not exactly the right charger for gel-tech but I'm hoping that the extra .3 volts won't damage them, the temp sensor for the ctek fits in a cavity between the 2 batteries so is touching both, this allows the charger to pull back on the charge voltage if they get warm. I know it is discouraged to fit lead acid batteries in a confined space like this, but there is some ventilation and also they are a top quality sealed type battery.

Stropp
13th May 2012, 11:45 PM
That looks great, well done is all I can say.

Clunk
13th May 2012, 11:48 PM
so I reckon its time for a trip down to Warnbro to see this in the flesh, looks very well done and tidy indeed.................. want to make some more?????? lol

mudski
14th May 2012, 10:43 AM
:thumbup: Awesome. Now this is another thing on my to do list. The missus ain't gonna be happy that I'm in the garage again.:furious:

Wetty
14th May 2012, 11:52 AM
Very nice job indeed. . . . did something similar in the Jackaroo I had. The Trol I recently acquired has Outback drawers in it so no need for the banging of fingers and excess use of grey matter :)
Wetty

oilburner98
14th May 2012, 03:51 PM
thanks boys.

If any WA fellas know of good camping/fishing/fires allowed, away from the masses and good for a mid year trip under 6 hours from Rockingham then I will trade your secrets for plans I have developed for building a good air compressor out of Tupperware and garden hose :harhar:

Winnie
14th May 2012, 03:54 PM
MacGyver is that you?

Sprattman
20th July 2012, 11:27 PM
Awesome job mate. You couldnt have bought a better set if you tried. What were the rollers that you used? are they like skateboard wheel bearings? or am i totally off?

The BigFella
21st July 2012, 06:22 AM
there aint nothing cheap about your finished job dude, take a bow!
Awesome job!!!! Well done!!!

griffo79
8th August 2012, 08:12 AM
looks like a great setup, not exactly what im looking to do but your battery location is sweet! good work

daggy
8th August 2012, 09:52 AM
Great job, makes me want to get off to the hardware store then into the shed and start my own. I am really interested to see what you do with the drawers to stop them coming out. Rope at the appropriate length or a timber stopper on the bottom of the drawer?

chevracer383
25th August 2012, 09:21 AM
Top job on the draws mate. They look fantastic.

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2012, 11:51 AM
This thread has been moved over to the DIY, Storage sub-section

Cheers

Todd

oilburner98
20th October 2012, 04:11 PM
same as skateboard bearings. just make sure you get good ones.