PDA

View Full Version : Glow plugs ?

cookpa
5th April 2012, 08:11 PM
hi , i am going to change my glow plugs on my GQ 2.8td in the morning i brought this GQ about 2 months ago now i dont know how long they have been in there but i have a rough start when she is cold so i am giving these plugs a go first , who knows if this an easy jjob ? i did them on my 4 runner before i sold it and 2 of them were jammed or broken in the head and i needed the head removed to fix it thanks guys :-)

cookpa
6th April 2012, 10:08 AM
just did the job it was nice and easy except for the fiddly spring washers being so small and lack of space ( they get dropped many times ) started the GQ and no miss and no smoky cold start $200 for the glow plugs , i guess the timing belts next :-)

PHT33
16th April 2012, 08:46 PM
Did it improve the time you have to wait to actually crank over and have her fire up?

cookpa
19th April 2012, 07:03 PM
no time change time wise for the light to go out but i noticed i can start the patrol before the light goes out very easily , i will have a look at the real and the timer now see if it changes

nismine01
19th April 2012, 10:56 PM
Have you changed the glow plugs yet? A glow plug either works or it does not, why replace one that is working?
If you take the wire/bar off all the plugs you can test them without removing them. Get a multi meter, set it to Ohms (resistance) preferable audible tone if it has that feature and check between the terminal where the wire/bar fits onto the plug and the body of the plug or earth. If you get the tone or a deflection on the meter that plug is alright no need to replace it. I just checked a mates GU and one plug needed replacing but his main problem was, the light went out after about three seconds, the relay stayed in for fifteen seconds. You need to wait the fifteen seconds when the vehicle is cold, practice will show you what is required the rest of the day.

Cheers

Mike

cookpa
20th April 2012, 11:41 PM
Hi Mike yes i changed them all, it had a rough idle anda bit of smoke at cold starts i could not be bothered testing them , i just replaced the lot and she runs brilliant at startup now . i am a firm believer in replacing the lot when it comes to small parts like that , i have not had the car long and dont know the history but now i am 100% sure the glow plugs are good and are all the same age now ,i am a bit fussy like that i work in spares so i just order something every week and replace it ,this week its uni joints (all) mine are not faulty but i know i can trust them after i replace them hey ,i will work my way through everything , its an addiction lol!

nismine01
21st April 2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I tend to be a bit the same, when I start on the old girl it will be at the front and make my way back. Start outside, mechanical then inside comfort and practicality.

Cheers

Mike