PDA

View Full Version : Tail light assembly removel

Stevet
21st September 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm stuck, I can't seem to find the instructions on how to remove the tail light assembly, I've got the two main screws out and I know there is more but I can't remember where and I can't find it in the on line Manuel .can some one help me.

for a 2000 GU wagon.

mrjimmypit
27th September 2010, 12:04 PM
This may help

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~goodo4x4/vehicles%20-%20patrol%20-%20tail_light_modifications.htm

maque
1st July 2011, 11:39 AM
I'm stuck, I can't seem to find the instructions on how to remove the led tail lights for trucks (http://www.stylintrucks.com/category/exterior/tail_lights.aspx) assembly, I've got the two main screws out and I know there is more but I can't remember where and I can't find it in the on line Manuel .can some one help me.

for a 2000 GU wagon.

having the same problem so i try the link that "mrjimmypit" recommended. well it really help me a lot. thanks for the thread!

04OFF
4th July 2011, 02:58 PM
I thought id add this ,as those instructions don't mention it, but when installing the drivers side tail lamp, take care to ensure you do not trap the rear washer/squirter water feed pipe.

This rubber hose/pipe runs very near to the tail lamp bracket, it is held just enough out of the way by a factory tie, but sometimes when playing around inside (with wires etc) the water hose can fall down and get slightly trapped or squeezed when you tighten up the tail light retaining bolts.

This could cause a leak, or stop water coming out the rear washer all together (as happend to me)

snewin
19th September 2012, 06:52 AM
Zombie thread will eat your brains.............

Resurrecting this old chestnut as I can't see how to get the light covers off for the lights either side of the barn doors (not the one in the rear bar). They're sealed from the outside and I can't get my hand in through the back.

Can anyone suggest how to get to the bulbs before I rip or break something off....

Cheers
Rob

threedogs
19th September 2012, 06:58 AM
On the GU its in behind the Jack cover on one side and the pull out insert on the other, 2 x 10mm bolts either side ,might need to thump with your palm carefully to dislodge

snewin
19th September 2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks very much 3D. I was going to undo the bolts but didn't want something bad to happen. You're a champ.

James_R
14th November 2012, 11:30 AM
Digging up an old thread,

The better half informs me the other day whilst backing into the garage, that the drivers side reverse and brake lights are out. I'm thinking probably the clip has fallen out, no biggie. Today I've taken her out and no word of a lie found that the entire tail light assembly didn't have any globes, wiring or anything hooked up to it.

I was absolutely flabbergasted. How could something like that be passing rego for 4 years! Stupidly it was the one thing I didn't check before I handed over cash for the bloody thing. Thankfully It's still under the statutory warranty.

Bazhemps
14th November 2012, 11:48 AM
Hi James,
Check old posts and you will find rear lights are dummies as they do not comply with the ADRs (spare wheel blocks the visual of RH light, that is why they are in the lower bar. I have replaced mine with ones I purchased from EBay ($120.00) fully wired with globes. The passenger side plugs straight into loom drivers side you have to source Earth, and Reverse. Do a search there is a heap of info on previous threads.
Bazz

James_R
14th November 2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks Bazz, appreciate it mate. Still flabbergasted but I appreciate the quick reply.

threedogs
14th November 2012, 12:38 PM
My GLW said that to when I first got my pride and joy. Running joke now , but she had me going , then installed the Patrolapart loom now my reverse lights are like this.
And better in the bush

Drew
14th November 2012, 06:05 PM
My GLW said that to when I first got my pride and joy. Running joke now , but she had me going , then installed the Patrolapart loom now my reverse lights are like this.
And better in the bush

Is that the case always ? :)

GUIIIpatrol
16th February 2013, 04:34 AM
Can anyone help out? I have just replaced all my globes in my GUIII Patrol and replaced the dummy lights and wired them up also. However all was going well til I went to replace the Brake light in the barn door with an LED equivalent. But it wont work. A normal globe does, and the LED light works as i tested it in the indicator of the bumperette lights as they are the same globe base in the indicators.

Any suggestions as to why the Barn door wont take an LED light?

mudski
18th February 2013, 10:01 PM
That LED globe should NOT work in the indicators as the indicators are sinlge filament type, but in LED, and the tail light globes are double filament, for stop and tail, but in LED. Wrong LED globe that tells me.

Alitis007
18th February 2013, 10:17 PM
It didn't work for me either, not sure why but i tried 3 different types and they failed so i just left it as a filament globe same as the indicators because i didn't want to wire in a resistor to make it flash normally!

The only thing i didn't check on the eye level stop light globe was how much voltage it gets, that could be the key but i wouldn't loose any sleep over it lol

GUIIIpatrol
18th February 2013, 10:32 PM
Hi mudski think you've mis-read my question. The light in the barn door is a brake light only, single filament. Exactly the same as the indicator. same wattage and all.

However, on a different page but similar topic had more luck and also posted how i remedied the problem.

This is the page: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14856-Brake-LED-not-working-properly

Why Nissan did this with one light only has a few of us scratching our heads.

Hope this help you out Alitis007. It isn't the voltage that's the issue, it's the reversed polarity!!!

Globes will work either way, LED's only work Negatively grounded/earthed.

This is why the LED worked when i put it in the indicator socket and not in the brake light socket before.

mudski
19th February 2013, 08:06 AM
Yep sorry I was thinking of the light on mine. I have all lights working on my troll. I forgot about the useless dummy lights Nissan used.

Bernie 2
5th July 2013, 07:24 PM
On the GU its in behind the Jack cover on one side and the pull out insert on the other, 2 x 10mm bolts either side ,might need to thump with your palm carefully to dislodge

Thanks for that, undid the bolts but nothing seemed to move and I wasn't game to try too hard incase I broke something. Had the hand up in behind trying to feel what might still be holding it but all I managed to do was take some more skin off my knuckles and increase the frustration level. Then I remembered this forum!!
Your suggestion to give it a thump worked a treat, so Thanks again.

BrazilianY60
20th April 2023, 01:10 AM
Just adding a little bit to this old thread.

I have read somewhere that once the two hex screws are done, you need to deal with two aligning studs. Although simple once you know it, what an anxiety control exercise it is to remove the tail light fearing it may break.

So, to add some info here, the GU4 tail light actually has three studs, not just two like the GU1,2,3. I have used plastic pry bars to help pop them out without scouring either body paint or tail assembly itself.

86718 86719 86720

I hope these pictures help someone else that find this topic.