PDA

View Full Version : scan gauge

Malgreen
3rd April 2012, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone
been looking at a scan gauge II as it it a plug and play set up but i have been trying to find out if it does EGT??
having separate boost and temp gauges seems the way to go but i would have to get someone to instal these as i dont have a workshop or shed to work in.
so is scangauge worth getting and will it do what i want?
or should i get an A pillar pod mount and put in 2 gauges??
i also find that individual gauges can be a bit expensive.
the will be for a 08 CRD 3lt...
any input would be great,, cheers

teno45
3rd April 2012, 11:30 PM
Hey mate,

Also have an 08 CRD 3.0L, and no EGT on scan gauge!

I was hoping the same thing, so somewhere down the line Ill be adding the EGT and boost gauges to a pillar pod. Whilst the scan gauge does do boost, I'd prefer to have it on its own gauge and monitor something else on the scan gauge.

Cheers, Teno

gregs
4th April 2012, 06:58 AM
Hi everyone
been looking at a scan gauge II as it it a plug and play set up but i have been trying to find out if it does EGT??
having separate boost and temp gauges seems the way to go but i would have to get someone to instal these as i dont have a workshop or shed to work in.
so is scangauge worth getting and will it do what i want?
or should i get an A pillar pod mount and put in 2 gauges??
i also find that individual gauges can be a bit expensive.
the will be for a 08 CRD 3lt...
any input would be great,, cheers

Malgreen,
I have a scangauge fitted to our 07 CRD (its actually velcroed to the top of the steering column) and it works great and I have a Autometer boost gauge fitted as well. I have the boost readout working all the time on our SC and the AM boost gauge is more sensitve and reacts quicker but the scan gauge isn't usually too far behind and they read the same boost (it only takes a fraction of a second for the scangauge to catch up to the boost gauge). As for fitting the boost gauge you can get an intercooler pipe from Taipan XP (you swap yours with them) that has a fitting already welded into it and all you do is swap it over and connect up your small hose and fittings that should come with the gauge. I paid a deposit on mine as I didn't want to send mine down and have my patrol off the road for a week or so, you do get your deposit back when you send your intercooler pipe to them, so no biggy really. As for the EGT gauge...well I still haven't fitted mine...been slack, but I will do it on the next one that's for sure.

Are they worth getting....you betcha, they give you real time readouts on what is going on.

cheers

Greg

Malgreen
5th April 2012, 10:54 AM
thanx guys, looks like i will lay out the dosh and get a pillar pod with the 2 gauges,, will have to look at Taipan for that exchange intercooler pipe. not sure if i would worry about having a scan-gauge as well as the pillar pod at this stage as funds wont allow for both. been looking at how to install the EGT probe and i just might have to get someone to do that for me as i dont have a workshop or even a shed, ( which sucks by the way,,,lol )

my third 256
7th April 2012, 07:53 AM
have a look at one of these has a larger face and is touch screen
http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=1
found this one on ebay alot cheeper from usa
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WatchDog-Bully-Dog-Multi-Function-Performance-Gauge-/360381073324?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e862c7ac

Beni C
22nd May 2013, 01:33 PM
Ok so I hooked the ScanGuage II up last night and I must say that I am very impressed, what a mint piece of kit!!

Anywho reading through the destructions and google a few things I do have a few questions for the more experienced users out there.

First off all the turbo boost, the standard one seems to work fine, I have no idea how accurate it is but is using the XGauge version where you need to calculate the atmo pressure any better?

Also the TPS didnt change from the defualt setting of 24 when I plugged it in, is this right for ZD30 CRD? I want to get the accurate ltr per 100k read out.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lonicus
22nd May 2013, 09:26 PM
The inbuilt boost setting in the gauge now is accurate, no need to adjust for atmo. I have a mechanical boost gauge as well as the Scangauge and readings are pretty much the same, the Scangauge is just a touch slower than the mechanical gauge.

As for accurate fuel usage, it will take a couple of fills to get the gauge reading correctly. Out of the box it's just guesstimating usage based on the type of engine. After two fills the Scangauge got my next fill accurate to within 1 litre, and that was a fill of around 115 litres. Just follow the destructions regarding fuel fill ups and adjust for the difference between guessed and actual.

Beni C
23rd May 2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks Lonicus.

Just one more question mate, with regards to the fuel cut of setting to get an accurate LHK reading, the default for the SC is 24, is that right for the Patrol or should it be changed?

Lonicus
23rd May 2013, 11:38 AM
I don't think I even looked at that sorry mate, so mine would just be however it was setup out of the box :)

I found using the AVG display for fuel usage to be the most friendly, LHK display can get a bit scary, especially when you plant it going up a hill!

Beni C
23rd May 2013, 12:27 PM
Awesome mate, how do you understand the average fuel economy though if its not in ltr per 100k?

Bob
23rd May 2013, 12:33 PM
Awesome mate, how do you understand the average fuel economy though if its not in ltr per 100k?

try this

http://bilet.pp.ru/calculator/convert_mpg_to_l_per_100km.php

Beni C
23rd May 2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks Bob, thats not really what i ment though.

In the Scangauge instructions it gives you details about the AVG Gauge which is your average fuel economy. in the descirption it says "This is the current average fuel economy and is updated about every 2 seconds (normal rate)."

My question is average fuel economy of what? How litres used of fuel used? Distance travelled per litre?

You need at least 2 measurements to understand what you are looking at, in Australia its typically litres per 100kms.

This Gauge just gives you a figure and I dont understand what that figure represents, perhaps I am missing something?

Lonicus
23rd May 2013, 01:16 PM
Sorry Beni, the AVG display is measured in litres per hundred klms.

LHK measures litres per hundred klm as an instant snapshot of your fuel usage, so when you plant your foot going up a hill it can throw up some scary looking numbers :) AVG takes the data from LHK and averages it out over the time the engine is running from one startup to the next.

If you wanted to get a usage figure from say one fill up to the next, you could use the trip metre function.

Beni C
23rd May 2013, 01:45 PM
Awesome Lonicus, I thought i must have been missing the point!!

Will def be using the AVG function over the LHK I think.

Cheers mate!!

DSzuke
23rd May 2013, 03:40 PM
While we are talking SG...

can someone decipher the "LOD" reading for me.

I assume it is "Load" maybe in % ?

I haven't quite figured out how to use it to drive better.

Beni C
23rd May 2013, 04:03 PM
Hi DSzuke,

According to the the destructions it means!!
"This is a percentage of the maximum power available currently
being generated. In some vehicles it is the maximum
available at the present RPM."

threedogs
11th July 2013, 04:50 PM
Friend of mine has just installed a Scan Gauge to his FJ Cruiser, Does it suit the DI 3ltr or just common rail,
And price contact etc.
Did come with book A4 10mm thick

Wirregar
3rd June 2014, 12:41 PM
Has anyone used the Ultra-Gauge or the other ODBII senders out there?
How do they compare to the ScanGauge?