PDA

View Full Version : tail light fuse blow out

dutchy
2nd April 2012, 08:46 PM
My GU patrol blows fuses for the tail light.

The tail lights don't work but also the parking lights dash light and the beeper when you leave your lights on.
Ive taken the tail and parking lights apart but no luck.

next day off I'm thinking of taking the dash apart.

Any one had this problem before?

the ferret
2nd April 2012, 08:51 PM
Have you recently fitted an after market radio/CD??
Cheers, the ferret.

04OFF
2nd April 2012, 08:54 PM
Have a look at your "front" parker lights for a problem, as they may be on the same fuse, often if you have bullbar added with parking lights, these can cause problems when they get a bit older.

Remove ALL parking light bulbs front and rear, then see if the fuse still blows when you flick the switch, if not , then you can try replacing the bulbs one by one untill it blows again pointing to the problem.

04OFF
2nd April 2012, 08:56 PM
Have you recently fitted an after market radio/CD??
Cheers, the ferret.

Ha-ha, yeh that old chessnut , good suggestion ferret

the ferret
2nd April 2012, 09:00 PM
He he, Got me that one lol, had me stumped fer a while!!

philfree
2nd April 2012, 09:13 PM
Hi also check trailer plug wiring and inside the trailer plug as well

dutchy
2nd April 2012, 09:55 PM
Thank for the quick reply guys.

I did replace the trailer plug and also checked all the front parking lights bulbs. I took them all out and tried the fuse again.

And my radio works well.

Its a dead short somewhere. It blows the fuse as soon as i turn on my parking lights. I've used about 12 fuses already lol.

the ferret
2nd April 2012, 10:20 PM
Try it with the radio OFF, you may have the wrong earth if you have fitted another radio.
Cheers, the ferret.

dutchy
3rd April 2012, 12:14 AM
Try it with the radio OFF, you may have the wrong earth if you have fitted another radio.
Cheers, the ferret.

Hi ferret, Just tried it with the radio off but still blowing the fuse.

the ferret
3rd April 2012, 12:31 AM
Hi ferret, Just tried it with the radio off but still blowing the fuse.

In that case, I would wait for Yendor mate, he'll sort ya!!
Cheers, the ferret.

Yendor
3rd April 2012, 08:42 AM
You need to inspect the wire harness that runs to the lights and trailer plug for damage.

A short is normally caused by a wire harness rubbing on a metal frame, not normally by a bulb.

I would start at the trailer plug (you have replaced the plug so the wiring inside the plug should be ok) follow the harness from the plug to where it connects to the vehicles original harness.

You are looking for anywhere the harness may have been damage or it may be rubbing on a metal panel.

If this is ok, then have a look at the harness that runs to each light (including the front lights). If you have a ute I would check the number plate light wiring first.

Have you just installed anything in the vehicle lately? if so I would have a look for possible damage to a wire harness around this.

Any recent panel damage to the vehicle? if so have a good look around this.

Is your vehicle an ex-mines vehicle? if so have a look where the extra lights were fitted. There's a good chance the old harness is just sitting in the bottom of the rear quarter panels if it's a wagon.

Was it a Telstra vehicle?

I would have a good look at the external wiring harnesses, before pulling the dash apart.

If you have no luck with the above we maybe able to isolate the front, rear and dash light circuits. This would help narrow it down to an area of the vehicle.

Good luck with it.