PDA

View Full Version : side awning infill

gregs
1st April 2012, 11:46 AM
I had this made up to fill the gap between the awning and the patrol as my racks stick out further than the sills and there is a big gap where the awning is mounted. I think it cost me about $70, is made of ripstop vinyl and has a rope sewn in on one side and this slides into a rope track I bolted to the awning mount, stainless steel eyelets along the other side so it can be ocky strapped back to the basket. I only use 1 ocky strap at each end and it is sufficient to hold it even in windy conditions. I think from memory it is about 450mm wide and as long as the awning and cut on an angle at the ends so it lines up with the basket when strapped back. It is mounted to the awning permanently and rolls up and gets tied down with 5 or so pieces of double sided 1" velcro. The velcro is tek screwed to the back of the sail track so I don't have to fiddle around trying to find them when I pack it away.
The velcro is getting pretty tatty now so will need to be replaced (small ocky straps could be used here instead)

It was made wider than it need to be this way if I have gear in the basket it would go over it and I could still ocky strap it back.

Cheers

Greg

AB
1st April 2012, 09:09 PM
Good write up and pics mate! I need something like this for the camper.

gregs
2nd April 2012, 06:54 AM
AB, thanks mate. I have thought about getting a rear awning made out of the same stuff as it is waterproof, but the 2 small tarps I have joined together to do the same job haven't fallen apart yet so it could be awhile off (thats another DIY thread I have to put up when I get some more pics).

Cheers

Greg

msw21
3rd April 2012, 07:02 PM
looks good mate good idea

gregs
3rd April 2012, 09:23 PM
msw21, Thanks mate. The gap I have is larger than most of others I have seen and we would get rain coming through and the sun was horrible.

cheers

Greg

Rip'n'Shred
17th April 2012, 01:29 PM
Awesome idea.

Just wondering what length awning is that you have? I'm thinking 2.5m.

frenzy
17th April 2012, 06:02 PM
Nice work.

Tweakedoffroad
17th April 2012, 08:10 PM
Great work mate looks really good

gregs
19th April 2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks guys.

Rip'n'shred, mate yeah I think it is a 2.5 metre awning, but I will go out to the shed in the next couple of days and measure it and let you know. I do know that the infill goes the full length of the awning.

Cheers

Greg

HammerBuilder
21st April 2012, 10:16 PM
Cool idea, I just adjusted my racks to stick out the oposite side of car to awning so awning is closer to gutter but your idea seals the weather out too good thinking..

Just wait & ARB & others will be selling this next time you do a search lol
a patent is not worth the money you spend these days with countries like china that don't follow rules.

gregs
21st April 2012, 11:54 PM
HammerBuilder, I couldn't push the racks over as I have the basket on there and it is about 1220mm on the inside, so it is quite big and I think from memory I only have about 2" to play with on the awning side anyway so the gap wouldn't be reduced by much. On the drivers side of the racks I have a 4" pvc pipe with tent poles in it for the awning extension and the rear awning and the shovel holder is mounted under the rack.

Mate that is why I put my ideas out there to the world so at least others can have a crack at making their own and save some serious coin, but yeah your right about patents, I think you only have to change it by 10% anyway and there is nothing anyone can do. I reckon if shit on a stick sold well and made money china would copy it as well lol......

Greg

Waza
2nd December 2012, 08:22 PM
Great post mate, I have several designs registered with the patent office & this idea is inspiring !

Well done ;-)