PDA

View Full Version : tyre on a tight budget

luvpsi
31st March 2012, 09:55 PM
hey guys im fairly new to the 4wd side of things. i just got a GQ patrol with a td42 which is pretty much stock. im looking at doing a 2" lift and fitting some decent tyres. im going to get 15x8 rims however after all of this im going to be a bit tight on money. its going to be a daily with a bit of weekend off road fun. main types of off road will be sand and muddy terrain. mainly sand as i like to do a bit of fishing. what tyre would you suggest on a tight budget. i heard either nexen or sumitomo are quite good on a budget

AB
1st April 2012, 07:24 AM
Tyres are a funny one mate. If you go too cheap then you'll just end up needing to buy another set in after 30,000km's, etc.

For a mix of mud and sand I would try my best to save up and grab some BF muddies mate which will cost a lot but will last a long time.

Hopefully others can comment on Nexen's and Sumitomo's mate.

luvpsi
1st April 2012, 12:13 PM
cheers mate but yeah i need tyres real soon as they are fairly low on tread

Jordan.mathisen
2nd April 2012, 05:15 PM
Have you looked in second hand tires? i got a set of 4 35" super swampers with at least 3/4 tread for $1000 when they retail at about $750 a tire brand new

BigMav
2nd April 2012, 08:26 PM
Mate I wouldn't be afraid of trying out the nexens or sumitomo. A lot of people will talk badly of the cheaper tyres but at the end of the day it is the ratings that are stamped on the side of the tyre that matter. If they match up with the big brands I say go for it. If you're doing light to medium offroad a set of 33" tyres and a 2" lift I reckon is just about perfect. Throw a locker on the front and you're ready for tougher tracks. What sort of coin you been quoted? I'm gunna be needing another set soon enough. As already said second hand is also a good option and tyres can be regularly found on the net with very little use for a good price.

BigMav
2nd April 2012, 08:31 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/04/5.jpg

Can't see why this tyre wouldn't work well on the rough stuff. Its a proven tread pattern.

luvpsi
5th April 2012, 09:21 PM
ok spoke to my mate who owns a ian diffens he can get me a set of maxxis bighorn for 320 each as sumitomos are on back orde for a month or 2 however i have bald tyres. problem is i have 15x7 sunrasyias on and standard height. i plan on a 2 inch lift in near future but needs tyres now i beleive the 33's will rub on standard height( yes i know i need 8'' wide rims) but now i need to decide whether to go 33s and buy rims or or get 31x10.5 bighorns which i reckon are a tad to small for my liking. what do you guys suggest

Winnie
5th April 2012, 09:27 PM
There's no point in getting 33's without a lift. I'd say get some cheap 31" all terrain or highway terrain tyres, then later on when you have lift off, I would buy another set of rims and put some bigger muddies on them.
That idea doesn't suit everybody, it's what I did... sorta. I've already got the 3" lift and 33" mud tyres (getting towards the wear markers) and I bought some 33" mud tyres on sunnies and am now saving up for some 31" all terrains for everyday driving on the alloys.

MudDonk
5th April 2012, 09:29 PM
33 should be ok luvpsi...mate had exact same tyre on his gq b4 a lift installed and only just rubbed a bit on factory flare when on full lock and suspension was flexed ...is a diy thread on fitting flares to ur GQ that wont rub on ya tyres mate :)

Clunk
5th April 2012, 09:48 PM
33s will fit with out a lift but they will rub under flex and you'll need to remove the front mudflaps and bracket, coz they will rub on full lock

nissannewby
5th April 2012, 11:22 PM
As its been said 33's will fit. dont go the nexens i have a had a set and they would have been lucky to last 30k. (but were cheap). Bighorns would be the go they wear well are relatively cheap you should be able to nearly get 60k out of them. If you had the money i would be getting km2's (BFG) these tyres are great awesome on road both dry and wet work well in sand and are hard wearing but you pay for what you get.

luvpsi
6th April 2012, 08:18 PM
st-* /'[;pgot a set of bighorns coming went to mates workshop last night bought some 1x8 rims and fitted 33s to it to test it they cleared with no problem but will see what they are like off road