PDA

View Full Version : What offset for GU leaf sprung ute rear rims ???

got the bug
31st March 2012, 02:48 PM
Hi just wondered if anyone knows what offset rim to use on the rear of a GU leaf sprung ute in order to get rid of the crabing look due to the rear diff being narrower than the front, I am running all standard gear on the ute (265/75/16) but dont like the crabbing rear as it plays havoc with driving on bush tracks as the rear tyres always get hammered by rocks & I am sick of pluggin them.....Any advise would be great.
Thanks,
GTB

Ben-e-boy
31st March 2012, 08:13 PM
Hi just wondered if anyone knows what offset rim to use on the rear of a GU leaf sprung ute in order to get rid of the crabing look due to the rear diff being narrower than the front, I am running all standard gear on the ute (265/75/16) but dont like the crabbing rear as it plays havoc with driving on bush tracks as the rear tyres always get hammered by rocks & I am sick of pluggin them.....Any advise would be great.
Thanks,
GTB

I have not heard of a leaf sprung ute crabbing due to that reason.I'm am only sceptical of the reason as the are a few types of vehicles where the wheel track is wider at the front that the rear. happy to be wrong though.
Before you go and get new rims take a measurement from front hub to rear hub on both sides to see if you wheel base is square and true.
If it isnt I would be pulling the leaf springs off and inspecting the locator spiggott for where it locates the spring to the diff that could be broken or worn,
worst case scenario you vehicle has been in an accident and the chassis is bent

to answer you question though, just get a rim with a -22 offset

Cheers
Ben

macca
1st April 2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks,
GTB

I have a leafy as well and have never had a problem that you are talking about, I did get the rear tyres (265) rubbing on the chassis in flex situations.
When I got a set of 285 MTZ's I got a set of ROH steelies at -ve 10mm the stock are +ve 13mm (I think I have the - & + correct) any way it put the tyre centre line out 23mm.
Dont rub any more looks good and grips like I cant believe.
It hasnt crabbed as far as I know and the Tojo drivers are quick to point out a weakness if you know what I mean.
Todays "bush" tyres have good sidewall protection, are you running your pressures a bit low? Not that a modern tyre cant take a pasting on the tracks.

Mate I hope you get it sorted as it sound like a PITA
Macca

got the bug
1st April 2012, 02:26 PM
Hi ben-e-boy & macca, thanks for the replies & by crabbing I dont mean the vehicle crabs on the road I was meaning that the rear wheels centre tracks about 30mm inside the front wheels therefore if you are behind the ute it looks a bit weird & offroad the rear tyres cop the sticks, roots & rocks a lot more beacause you always duck around them with the front & clobber the rear. My tyres are still factory desert duelers but I am soon to get a set of cooper st max on it as they are about spent. Each tyre now has a minimum of 6 plugs in the sidewalls as even with the correct pressure in they balloon out too much & to try & stop the issue I started putting 40 psi in them only to find the centers of the tyres were wearing as it was too much & I was still getting punctures. A mate has wranglers & he has no issues but dont like the look of them.
Thanks for the info re ofset & when I get my new tyres I will also get two new rims for the rear to hopefully bring all in line.

Thanks,

GTB

macca
1st April 2012, 04:51 PM
Mate I would wear the same offset rims on all corners, if nothing else you can rotate your tyres around all 4.
Then there could be legal issues, but I dont really know.
Mine is narrower in the front and I have never had an issue.
When changing direction the rears never follow the fronts any way
Certainly sounds like the tyre is the problem, OEM's are for shopping centres not ruts and tree roots.....
I reckon you will really like your choice of tyre, its in the family of tyres I was talking about before.
You reckon our different tracks are bad, how about the Tojo 70 series with the V8, they are different by 100mm..... WTF Mr Tojo?
Macca

megatexture
1st April 2012, 09:05 PM
yea id stick with the same offset all round as you only have 1 spare most of the time and what offset will u use as the spare if u got 2!.
desert duellers are for mums taxis no problem with them on road but id never consider them off-road u will love a all terrain or mud and more than likely the sticks that gave u the punctures would snap off using tyre designed for off-road use .